cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need information on Ram size and number of background work process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions related to increasing the number of workprocessor in my system. The EWR report says we have 500GB ram distributed over 2 instances.

Some of the websites says "No.of Dialog WPs=RAM Size(MB)/250. and No.of Background Wps=RAM Size(MB)/750.". Whichh means max. upto appx. 1GB is what a work processor occupies.

We have been requesting our basis team to increas the number of background  workprocessor from 60 to 150. But they always get back to us saying our hardware is not sufficient for this kind of workprocess expansion.

I need your views regarding this. We are running ecc 6.0. As far as my opinion goes, I do not see any issues in increasing the workprocessors from 60 -150 as this would only consume additional 70GB of Ram and we have 500GB total as per EWR reports.

Do we really need new hardwares for this requirement? Let me know all your inputs?

Thanks in advance,

Chandra- ABAPer

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra

Question 1:  Why do you need 150 background WP's?

Question 2:  Why do you doubt the Basis team?

Bear in mind that it's not simply a matter of adding WP's: a background WP running flat out can consume a CPU thread, it may well be a limit on the CPU power of the box that the team is concerned about.

Regards,

Graham

behlau_carlos
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Chandra,

if I understand correctly, you are already running two instances on the box.

Are you also running two database instances on the same box?

That would answer the question, why your basis team gives you the feedback, it is not going to workout.

But SAP is very easy the scale. You could add application servers (they need just RAM+CPU+some Disk space - Disk space depends what you are doing) to your system.

Best regards

Carlos Behlau