Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring MaxDB from a Network Drive?

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

currently we are working on a system refresh (Windows 2008 R2 + MaxDB) with SWPM10 as <SID>adm.

At the moment we are stuck at the restore in the MaxDB Database Studio. At the point when the SWPM tells us to "Use the DBMGUI to perform a database recovery..." we tried to do this.Our backup files are waiting on a network drive.

In DB Studio via Administration Tasks -> Recovery we set up a new parallel backup template. We put the Path "X:\PRDBr\PRD_COM_0" Under "Device/File" in Device 1. Device 2 holds "X:\PRDBr\PRD_COM_1".

See for yourself in this screenshot:

Unfortunately we are being confronted with the error message that you can see in the top left of the screenshot:

-24994 Runtime environment error 1, wrong path

Instead of using drive letters we also tried UNC paths like: \\server\backup\PRDBr\PRD_COM_0 and \\server\backup\PRDBr\PRD_COM_1. This leads to another error message: -24994 Runtime environment error 1, access denied

The UNC path and the network drive are perfectly accessible by the user <SID>adm in Windows Explorer.

Can you give us any support on that issue? We would greatly appreciate that 🙂

Thanks so far and regards

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Update: The restore seemed to work fine. We got it working by using an UNC-Path plus setting the Security Restrictions on that share to "Everyone" temporarily.

What raises my interest here is: Setting it to Everyone is just not feeling right. What user should have had access to the share?

Next thing now: Recovery of Log Files. We wanted to restore the DB to 30.04.2015 14:00 h. So we created a corresponding template with this timestamp for point in time recovery. Restore worked great.

Question here: How can I make sure that the DB has the state from 14:00 h.

By checking the summary screen in DB studio I can see "Last Commit" was 12:05 h.

Regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are facing same issue

<Local>:PCT>db_activate RECOVER Demo_bkp_rec

-24988,ERR_SQL: SQL error

-903,Host file I/O error

6,Data recovery failed

113,Open medium on \\hostname\g\sapdb\data\wrk\CCR\CCR_COM for READ failed

Servertask Info: because Error in backup task occured

Job 1 (Backup / Restore Medium Task) [executing] WaitingT77 Result=3700

Error in backup task occured, Error code 3700 "hostfile_error"

1,Open file \\hostname\g\sapdb\data\wrk\CCR\CCR_COM failed, CreateFile(READ,EXISTING) returned 'Access is denied. ' (5

pls help its urgent

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay! Here is, what we did:

01. Goto Windows Services and find a service called "MAXDB: <SID>" (so on our server it was "MAX DB: TST")

02. Under Logon for this service we chose "This account" and entered the sqd<SID> User and its password. This local user should be there already.

03. On the server that was opening the network share we set security to "Everyone" so everyone could access the share.

From that point on "Access denied." was history.

Problem, as far as we found out: Normally running as the "local system account" it has no access to the network. Check here: About the Local System Account/Computer$ in Configuration Manager

So if you change the account it should work. You could easy circumnavigate this situation if you put your backup source files onto a local volume or mount a additional HDD into your virtual machine.

Hope this helps!

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Answer on my question here: You can check the KnlMsg File. There you will find an entry somewhat like "last-redo-read... 20150430:140000"

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

The account that tries to open the connection to the network share "\\server\backup" is the account that runs the MaxDB services. You can check it in the Windows Services (Start > run > Services.msc) nad find out the MaxDB service. It's usually the Local System.

You can also check with the command #sc qc "SAP DBTech-<SID>" where your <SID> is the db name. The "SERVICE_START_NAME" is the account.

If it's Local System, then the account that tries to connect to the network share is the Computer account:

Security ID: DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$

Account Name: COMPUTERNAME$

Account Domain: DOMAIN

Logon ID: 0x000000

It would be the case to change the user that starts the MaxDB Service to a Domain user that you can provide access in the network share or add the computer account DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$, but I don't think the second is the best approach.

Check the SAP Note 2068537 - Backup on network drive (Microsoft Windows) on detail and also 1377148 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup / recovery, point 24.

Regarding the question about the "exact time", I don't understand the purpose.

Regards,

Luis Darui

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

thank you for this additional information.

"Regarding the question about the "exact time", I don't understand the purpose." - Sorry, on what are you referencing here? 🙂

Regards

Daniel

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I didn't understand the purpose of the question "How can I make sure that the DB has the state from 14:00 h".

Regards,

Luis

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Ah, OK... I see. This was, since we were doing a point in time recovery. Additionally there is a (also copied) BW system and therefore we set the recovery timestamp on both to 14:00 h to get the maximum possible synchronization between the two systems.

Answers (0)