cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI services file query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quick question please if you can share your thoughts / suggestions

We have a scenario where parallel landscapes have to be maintained for a couple of months for development, quality and production.

So we have 2 DEV systems but the new DEV has a different message server port.

I want to setup SAPGUI entries to login using logon groups however it doesn't seem to work. I did some checking and found that if there is multiple services with same names, it would only work when the ports are same i..e DEV and DEV copy are having sapmsDEV as service and same message server port.  If the port is different, the SAPGUI logon group works for the first entry in the services file and doesn't work for the second entry i..e sapmsDEV with 3600 and 3601 as ports, works fine for 3600 and doesn't work on 3601.

Is there a work around at all or an argument within SAPGUI that we can use as a work around to this at all.

Please advise.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kalyana,

Are you saying that your parallel DEV systems both have the same SID? When I've done this in the past, the parallel system had its own unique SID, and so this would not be a problem. You can definitely have multiple entries in the services file that share the same port, as long as the SIDs are different, i.e.:

sapmsDEV 3600/tcp

sapmsDV2 3600/tcp

sapmsQAS 3600/tcp

etc.

--Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt.

Scenario is both DEV's are in different data centres.

I am coming at this from customers standpoint. At the moment they have two entries in services file and both have same service name obviously i..e sapmsDEV and sapmsDEV with 3600 and 3601 as port numbers for message servers.  The first sapmsDEV with 3600 works fine for SAPGUI groups and second entry with sapmsDEV using 3601 doesn't work(error service unknown). If I change the sequence in services file i..e 3601 first and 3600 second, it now works for 3601 and fails for 3600.

I just need to know if there is a known work around for this. I know system rename is one option but we then have to adjust / adapt all RFC integration Scenarios so we are looking at a work around that's not so complicated. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Kalyan

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a workaround. You can simply not add the entries to the services file at all. From at least GUI 7.30 on, it's possible to instead just put the required information directly in the SAPLogon connection info.

To do this, when you set up the connection as a Group/Server Selection, like you normally would for load balancing or using logon groups, in the Message Server field put the hostname with the TCP Port, i.e like "SAPDEV2:3601" instead of just "SAPDEV2". That's all.

You don't have to put anything into the services file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

You are a savior. That worked like a charm. Thanks mate

Answers (0)