cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Lumira connection with SAP NW BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

Our customer wants to connect SAP Lumira & Webi to our existing BI quality system, which is on SAP NetWeaver 7.3

As they are trying to build example reports on BI data to SAP Lumira and Webi, we are not sure on below points:

1) For SAP Lumira, do we required to have SAP Netweaver Gateway installed to BI ? & how  ?

for this point, i had gone through the below link, but i am not able to figure out, if we require SAP NW Gateway also ?

http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/businessobjects-bi-for-sap/blog/2013/10/10/learn-how-to-use...

2) For Webi, is there need for Business Objects Integration Kit for SAP

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir2/en/xir2_sap_install_win_en.pdf

Any help on above topic will be appreciated.

Regards,

MT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish - if you are on BI4 there is no need for the SAP Integration Kit with Web Intelligence

You can connect using the BEx Query

For Lumira right now you can connect using the BEx query but only in the Visualize room - more enhancements are planned in 1.27 - see

I don't think Gateway is needed in these scenarios

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for your reply.

can you pls share some links, with detail explanations for webi using BEx Query? Also for lumira, i am still not clear, how it works directly.

Regards,

Manish

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

That webi link you surfaced was for XIR2 product (2007).  since then, we have had BOE XI3.1, then BIP 4.0/4.1 - so that link is old information, and not a sound basis on which to baseline your assumptions & understanding.

Is your customer actually experiencing a problem here?   What's the issue they see in Lumira when connecting to BW? 

As an SAP product person, I wanted to explain to you - the current way of connecting to BW is going to be superceeded ..  that is to say, in the next couple of months, we will be replacing the current implementation, with a much improved "download from BW" interface. This will include a fuller breadth of functionality (prepare, compose, share) that is missing today.

in terms of governance, this will also mean that 'managed' OLAP connections (as defined in the CMC, or IDT) will be surfaced into the Lumira Desktop .  At that point, there will no longer be a depedency on your SAP Logon pad. (although i believe a SAP GUI [local mode] will still be possible)

Regards.

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your reply.

No, our customer is not facing any issue, as of now. They have raised questions, how we can connect SAP Lumira & Webi with our existing netweaver 7.3 BI server.  I searched lot of forums/blog for this, but couldnt found any good link, where i can get proper information for this. (all links give info connection with SAP HANA, we dont want connection with SAP HANA)

Can you pls help for this, with some good reference links.

Regards,

Manish

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hmmm... well 'the proof is in the pudding' - just try it!

next time, please refer to our product tutorials page

search for BW or BEx in each case, there is your answer. Done .

thanks,
H

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks to Boris, Henry, tammy & preethi.

Was able to connect SAP Lumira desktop edition,1.25 with our existing BI system & now exploring features of same.

One last question,whats different between lumira desktop/lumira server/cloud & edge. Also how connections work for them ?

Regards,

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Regarding your question #1 "For SAP Lumira, do we required to have SAP Netweaver Gateway installed to BI?", it's not needed. From Lumira Desktop, you can connect to your BW using either online and offline connectivity options, and both of these use SAP BICS and JCO components to connect.

You do need to have SAP Logon deployed with BW connections configured on the same computer as Lumira Desktop, since Lumira Desktop picks up the connection information from SAP Logon.

Regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Thanks for your reply. From your reply, its clear..we don't require SAP Netweaver Gateway, but we are still not clear, how it works using online or offline options ? Can you pls provide some reference links for same ?

Regards,

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Boris mentioned we need to have the SAP Logon with BW connections configured in the same computer as Lumira Desktop.

Here is a reference link - http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-56167

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Preethi.