cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM capacity clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

This message is more for clarification prespective.

We are using centralizied WM system. We are in rollout phase of our project  and one of our upcoming plant rollout we need to activate capacity check at storage type level based on weight. You can refer enclosed docuemnt about the setting made at storage type level. I did refer OSS

note # 392776 before rasing this message.

As per understanding from SAP help and OSS note # 392776. It was mentioned that it’s not a good idea to use option 1 to 3 in capacity check when mixed storage is allowed. In this case for storage type # HRA, Mixed storage without limitations (refer screen shot) is allowed.

We are planning to use option 1. Because that provide us required control to put-away material based on weight of material in respective
bins of storage type HRA.   Accordingly we made the change and then start moving materials from other bins to bins in HRA storage type

My understanding after reading above OSS notes that each quant in that bin can go up to bin capacity defined in bin master. (Bin capacity defined as 600 LB in this case) But when I execute and start placing different material in same bin (G010011 in storage type HRA), to my surprise (and that is good) that it is restricting weight considering all quants in that bin which is contrary to what defined in OSS note !!!

This is meeting our requirement but because of above I have few questions which need to be clarified before we can start implementing this
change.

1. How capacity calculation works when option 1 used? Because what’s happening actually in system vs what defined in SAP help or OSS note doesn’t match.
  2. If we use option 1 in capacity check, does it really matter if mixed storage allowed or not?
  3. Also if continue to use option 1 along with mixed storage allowed, what could be the impact on our process?

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor

can you add a screenshot from LS03N storage bin  and from material master WM1 + WM2 view of one of the materials in that bin.

Also tell the exact message with message number that you get when you try to add another material to this bin.

I would also be interested if you maintain this bin manually in the TO, or if SAP suggests this bin based on the putaway strategy.

former_member183155
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all ;

Firstly , you have to maintain in WM1/WM2. Capacity check is implemented based on storage type.

Regards.

M.Ozgur Unal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jurgen,

Thanks for your reply.

Screen image from bin and materiel master enclosed. Reply to your query as below:

Jürgen L wrote:

can you add a screenshot from LS03N storage bin  and from material master WM1 + WM2 view of one of the materials in that bin.

Also tell the exact message with message number that you get when you try to add another material to this bin.

I would also be interested if you maintain this bin manually in the TO, or if SAP suggests this bin based on the putaway strategy.

1. I am not getting any error message.

2. I tried both ways manually maintained the bins as well as system also suggest using put-away strategy during TO creation.

Once again let me reiterate that I am not getting any error message and also how system is behaving is meeting my requirement.

But when I read SAP help & OSS note (as mentioned in my original post) and how system behaves using option 1 in capacity check it gives me contradicted result.

Hello M.Ozgur Unal,

Thanks for your reply.

But I am not using fixed bin in this case. Also capacity check I activated based on weight instead of quantity. Hope it helps

Best Regards

Anand

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You wrote in your initial question: " But when I execute and start placing different material in same bin (G010011 in storage type HRA), to my surprise (and that is good) that it is restricting weight considering all quants in that bin which is contrary to what defined in OSS note !!!"

So I expect that you get an error message in this described case, and this is where I would like to know the error message number and text.

I understood your concern about the SAP note, and I just want to find out if there is not something wrong in your system that prevents it from behaving like described.

For example looking at your LS03N screenshot I can see the utilization rate of 60%  which is not in  sync with the maximum weight and the occupied weight.

Also If you place 17 lb more into this bin then SAP should stop you since the weight goes above the maximum and the rack could break down, no matter if you add the same material or another.

Can it be that you changed the capacity check after you had already material in the bins of this storage type?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for quick reply.

Now I understand what message you are looking for. I am getting error message when I try to overload bin as "Maximum load capacity of storage bin G010011 exceeded by XXXXX LB" (Message number # L3 039).

This is good as I mentioned in my original post. And this message coming when I try to overload bin with one or more different materials.That means different quant in case of mixed storage allowed.

Reply to your other query as below:-

1. Utilization rate shows 60 %, because I am using pallet strategy which is deriving utilization percentage.
  2. Now over and above pallet strategy, I activated capacity check based on weight (Option 1) in configuration. Also note that mixed storage allowed which means I can place various combination of different materiels in this bin.
  3. You are correct when I try to put away 16 lb or more, system is stopping me to put-away further in that bin and that is good for me.

Now this is where my confusion start. Because if you read OSS note which clearly stated as below:  [ Highlighted few points (in red color) within note where my confusion starts]

Start of note

(A) Capacity check at quant level (Inspection methods 1 - 3)

The inspection methods 1 - 3 generally take place at quant level. In other words these inspection methods can only be used to its intention in storage types in which the mixed storage is not allowed. The reason for this is that the system does not use the entire quantity on the storage bin for the capacity check in the case of a mixed storage, but it is checked separately for every quant whether it exceeds the capacity. Several quants would be created on the bin, for example, in the case of different batches or different stock categories of the same material, and the maximum defined quantity would be allowed for every batch (or stock category).

---------------------------------------

Inspection method 1 - check by maximum weight

The system checks for a putaway or for an addition to existing stock whether the weight of the quant being created on the storage bin exceeds the maximum weight specified in the storage bin master record and the putaway is terminated in this case. The maintenance of the weight data in the material master is a prerequisite. Note that each individual quant on the storage bin is allowed to reach the maximum weight in the case of a mixed storage. Thus a combination with mixed storage is not useful.

End of note

That's where I need my question or clarification answered which posted in my original post. I hope I am not confusing you or any one with this detailed elaboration of issue.

Thanks

Anand

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, I am with you. According to your test is this sentence in the note incorrect.

Maybe your current findings are a welcomed site effect by changes done recently in this capacity check  program (I saw there were some changes).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes that's what my understanding is !!!!

I hope this works. I am implementing this change for 1 upcoming site. But got concerned when I read note and how system behaved.

Anyway thanks for your update and comment. If you find anything more on this please update this post

With Best Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

During a recent implementation in HK the client added a max weight in the bin data load file (against advice) and had trouble when the total of all quants in the bin exceeded the max allowed weight they mentioned. So in at least one example in a production system I can say that the results are aligned with your testing and NOT aligned with that SAP note. Hope you get the same results

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for update Jacob. This helps and gives confidence also at the same time.

Answers (0)