Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the basic purpose of driver program

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi all,

if we do write all code in forms only so what is the basic purpose of driver program..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

The flow of control is as follows.

When you save a transaction, the output type triggers the Driver Program.

The Driver Program will get all the data that is to be printed and also calls the Script or smartform layout.

In Short, the Driver program has two responsibilities.

1) To get all the data that needs to be printed.

2) To Trigger the layout(Designed by smartform or script).

Regards,

Ravi

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks ravikant,

now i reach a proper ans....

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello and welcome to sdn,

I'll be short and will be explaining in layman terms, as i am at work.

A SAP Script is outputted by calling diff functions i.e 'START_FORM', 'WRITE_FORM', etc , so for that you will need a driver program to call the functions for writing in the script and outputting. On the other hand, SAP SmartForm is nothing more than a function module , so in order to output a smartform you need to call that function module and for doing that you will need a driver program where you can attach your scripts.

Regards,

Shehryar Dahar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Look at the below link, you will get the answer

Regards

Sudheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

the purpose of driver prog is for interface purpose. in case u want to pass values or set some values in ur form.. u can do so with ur driver program.

Regards,

Viji.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

basic purpose of driver program is to make interface(connection) between your forms and print(driver program).

please reward with points if helpful.

Regards

Santosh.

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi santosh,

thanks for replying me but i want to know if we write all codes in forms also so what is the need of driver program...is there is some significance of driver program......

thanks.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

just think about basic law.. u awant print smartform even thiugh u wite the copmlete code to retrive the data in the smartforms.. somhow u ahve trigger the smartform right?

to initiate the smartform we have use the driver prgram from where we call the smartform to start..

eg.. u ahve an abap program u ahve to run this. wht u do?.. u goto se38 and enter the program name and u will press F8. or u directly call Tcode of the program to initiate the call..

in the same way driver program is used to initiate the call of the smartforms (if u want u can write the dataextraction logic in driver program.

it is clear now, let if u have more clarification.

Please Close this thread.. when u r problem is solved. Reward all Helpful answers

Regards

Naresh Reddy K

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thaks naresh...but..?

yeah am now bit of clearer but....as u said to run a programe we press a F8 but here to run a smart form we also can press F8 so am asking..any significant ans...