cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on ORACLE EXADATA and ORACLE EXALOGIC

0 Kudos

Hi!

Been doing some reading but could find anything that suits the customer's need.

Have a customer that wants to install SAP on Oracle Exadata and Oracle Exalogic. (no problem here)

The question is that the customer already has a NON SAP database running on Oracle Exadata and wants to use that database for SAP (creating a new database schema, MCOD installation).

Is this supported? Having a non-SAP and a SAP schema on the same database? Couldn't find any documentation that clearly stated this.

Also, understand that it is recommend to install the SCS on Exadata - any problems for the Exadata (or the already existing database) if we install the SCS on it? Alternative is to use external hardware to install the SCS.

As for SAP on Oracle Exalogic, does anyone know if Oracle Linux 6 update 6 is supported? Found this note 1617188 - SAP Software and Oracle Exalogic  (version 7, the latest) that states that Oracle Linux 6 is not yet available.

Oracle version should be 11.2.0.2 or 11.2.0.4 .

OS version should be Oracle Linux 6 update 6 .

Your comments welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and

Kind Regards,

JC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not supported to create non SAP schemas in an SAP database (if you have purchased the Oracle licence to SAP).

only administration schemas and from monitoring tools are allowed. see SAP Note 581312 for more
details

at the same time, it is not allowed to access the SAP directly. only via RFCs, IDOCs... to keep the logical consistency (not the first time data has "mysteriously" disappeared

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fidel,

let's assume the customer has it's own ORACLE licenses (purchased directly from Oracle).

We have no idea of what type of databases (ie. OLAP, OLTP) already exist on the Exadata Productive machine.

The customer doesn't want to install a new DB instance (binaries) actually, they don't want to install any binaries at all on the Exadata, only the data itself.

Actually, same goes for other databases (development and test) residing on other machine where already have several databases.

For instance, I'm not sure how BR*tools will work if they are not installed on the Exadata nodes.

Already tried to find more information on this but couldn't, might be using wrong search criteria.

Do you know if it can be done (and is supported) - the installation of a SAP NW7.4 (oltp) database on Exadata with another non-sap database? Or, can you, please, direct me to the appropriate place/person/source?

Thank you.

João Costa

fschoen
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Joao/Goncalo

Do you know if it can be done (and is supported) - the installation of a SAP NW7.4 (oltp) database on Exadata with another non-sap database? Or, can you, please, direct me to the appropriate place/person/source?

I guess you are looking for a mixed environment on Exadata? If yes then probably this documnet can help

1677978 - Mixed GI/RDBMS Versions or Mixed SAP/Non-SAP Environments on Exadata

regards

fabian

0 Kudos

Thanks Fabian.

What if the customer cannot split the grids?

Basically, the Exadata setup was originally made in such a way that now splitting the grids for SAP and NON-SAP is not feasible.

So far, couldn't find any docs on this.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Joao

fschoen
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Joao

João Costa wrote:

What if the customer cannot split the grids?

Basically, the Exadata setup was originally made in such a way that now splitting the grids for SAP and NON-SAP is not feasible.

Any ideas?

You don't have to split the GRID_HOME installation. It would be anyway questionable how to install two GRID_HOME on a Exadata machine.

So you can have one GRID_HOME for SAP and NON-SAP just with the "limitiation", that SAP is driving the allowed/certified version:

For GRID_HOME only Exadata Bundle Patches or Database Bundle Patches are supported which have been released by SAP (see SAP notes 1656654, 1974327 and 2145628).

Or did you meant that the customer only can have one ORACLE_HOME? I'm wondering how a Exadata system is configured, that only one ORACLE_HOME can exists.

The only point which is not clear if SAP is supporting to have SAP and NON-SAP databases in the same ORACLE_HOME.

The document doesn't say it is not allowed. It is just defined that for SAP ORACLE_HOME you have to follow the SAP certification strategy.

For RDBMS_HOME for SAP only Exadata Bundle Patches or Database Bundle Patchesare supported which have been released by SAP (see SAP notes 1656654, 1974327 and 2145628).

From a technical point I'm just think about a situation, where you have to install a Oracle (one-off) patch because of an issue with a NON-SAP database. Then you need to be sure, that this patch is "certified" with SAP which is unlikely.

But I'm not an SAP employee, therefore don't count on me

regards

fabian

Answers (0)