Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Access Denied - Failed to Open Document

I've done a few hours of searching for a solution to my problem with no specific answer helping me.

I recently upgraded 63 various reports from Crystal Reports version 8.5 to Crystal Reports 2011 (using a Windows 7 box). I realigned all of the report fields, and ensured all the variables within the report worked as they did before. Basically all 63 worked like old. I deployed these reports to a Windows 2012 R2 server which has Crystal Reports 2011 installed (as well as Crystal Report Runtime for .Net Framework) and 4 out of 63 no longer work. When I try to open them with Crystal Reports 2011 it gives me an error 'Access Denied [line break] Failed to Open Document' In the Event Viewer for Windows it gives me the following details as to what happened.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             crw32.exe

Application Version:                 

Application Timestamp:                     4fd6ccca

Fault Module Name:                          crw32.exe

Fault Module Version:              

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4fd6ccca

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                000cf0e5

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  0a9e

Additional Information 2:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:                  0a9e

Additional Information 4:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Here are the things I've done to try and troubleshoot/resolve it:

1. Re-upgrade the original CR 8.5 Report to 2011 and migrate it to server. (Didn't work)
  2. Migrate the original CR 8.5 Report to Windows 2012 Server and try to upgrade it there (Same error on 8.5 report)
  3. Repair/Reinstall Crystal Reports 2011 on Windows 2012 Server via Windows Control Panel->Uninstall Program tool (Didn't Work)
  4. Repair/Reinstall Crystal Reports Runtime for .Net Framework on Windows 2012 Server via Windows Control Panel->Uninstall Program tool (Didn't Work)
  5. Add three System Environment Variables to enable Crystal Reports Error Logging through CRLogger.dll (LOGGING_DIR = C:\CRLOGGING; LOGGING_ENABLED_ASSERT = 1; LOGGING_ENABLED_RUNTIME = 30)

Now..the error logging gives me error numbers, and which line of which .cpp file is encountering a problem, but that really doesn't help me because I don't have access to Crystal Reports Source Code. (Pasted below for those who are really curious).

I've seen Ludek or other SAP staff shut down discussions with some line about 'Report Development is not a ...' but I feel that this isn't related to how the report was developed and instead something in the application not jiving well with something else.

Any help or suggestions would be incredibly well received and appreciated.

Time Stamp
Thread IDFile NameLine NumberLogged DataLevel
2015-4-24-12-48-433820..\cserrinf.cpp523Error 31831 (..\..\src\data\preQEFileIO.cpp, 3578)1
2015-4-24-12-48-433820..\cserrinf.cpp523Error 31831 (..\..\src\data\preQEFileIO.cpp, 3847)1

Hi Thomas,

Statistically speaking, 4 out of 63 reports isn't bad for a migration.  So something in these 4 reports is different from the others.  I've had this happen if there are images or an object inserted into the report and the update doesn't know how to handle that object. 

The best way to try and find the problem is by process of elimination.  Open the reports again in 8.5 and remove a couple of things at a time.  Save it then open in 2011 and see if it fails or not.  Continue doing that until the report actually opens.  The problem could be anything from a formula or printer settings to attachments. 

Good luck,

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question