cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostic Agent installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have just upgraded solution manager from 7.0 EHP1 to 7.1 SP12. I have a few doubts about Diagnostic Agent that I now need to install/upgrade on solman and the satellites.

I've downloaded SWPM 1.0 SP7 and installed the Diagnostic Agent on a satellite system (for test purpose). At some point it asks for sld connection to solman and also P4 connection via Java SCS message server.

My question:

1) Do I need to install same version of Diagnostic Agent using the SWPM 1.0 SP7 on the satellite and the Solman also?

2) How can I check which port number to use for the P4 connection (whether 50004 or other port)?

regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

To answer your queries.

1. It is recommended to have DA of same version in both Solman & satellite systems.

2. You can check for the port in your icm parameter. please define the http port mentioned in that.

Provide the SMD_ADMIN and its password.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

Regarding your questions,

1) So I need to have same version everywhere. Now I can see version like Diagnostic Agent 7.3 or 7.4 is available. Should I install the latest one?

2) If I opt for a new version like 7.3, how do I install it thru the SWPM, I mean where do I get the option to select this newer version of agent in SWPM GUI?

Please refer section Diagnostics agent upgrade from below scn link

Diagnostics Agent Maintenance Procedures - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki

If the

3) Can we separately stop and start diagnostic agent - or we just do 'stopsap'?

Yes, It could be started and stopped separately.

Under Unix env, as daaadm or (smdadm - older installations) you could start and stop with startsap SMDAxx and stopsap SMDAxx. where xx is your diagnostics agent instance number.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar S

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vimal & Johan for the useful tips.

1) I was able to install the agent in a satellite and I suppose it the SAPhostAgent came with, is this correct?

2) The port for the P4 connection was 8101. But should I use the SMD_ADMIN user or the SMG_AGT user?

3) How can I check the version of the agents (both Diagnostic and SAPHostgent) in solman and the satellites as well? Because I have a doubt that the solman is using an older version of the Diagnostic Agent...

4) When all the agents have been setup and connected, how will they be working. Any issue in the satellites will be sent to Solman, is this correct?

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Please check this link.

2 . Yes. Pleas use SMD_ADMIN user or similiar user which has same access of SMD_ADMIN

3. Please see the above link.

4. Not all issues will be sent to solman. PLease see the below link

http://simplesapbasis.blogspot.de/2012/10/sap-diagnostics-agents.html

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suraj,

You can get the version details of host agent using the below command

/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saphostctrl -function ExecuteOperation -name versioninfo

Former Member
0 Kudos

To check the version you can display the dev_smdagent file in /usr/sap/DAA(SMD agent SID)/SMDA*/work. It will be displayed in the top of the file. you can use head command to display the version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnks all

One last confirmation:

I checked the versions of the diagnostic agent of solman and the satellite.

For solman, it is:

trc file: "/usr/sap/SMD/J98/work/dev_SMDAgent", trc level: 1, release: "701"

for satellite, it is:

trc file: "dev_smdagent", trc level: 1, release: "721"

1) So I need to have same version everywhere. Now I can see version like Diagnostic Agent 7.3 or 7.4 is available. Should I install the latest one?

2) If I opt for a new version like 7.3, how do I install it thru the SWPM, I mean where do I get the option to select this newer version of agent in SWPM GUI?

3) Can we separately stop and start diagnostic agent - or we just do 'stopsap'?

regards.