cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are projects stored from SEGW ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to SAP gateway and learning from SEGW transaction now . I have created a simple service following and was successful. Now my question is where are these projects stored ? Can i copy or move these  projects created in SEGW from one system to another if so, how?

Please suggest

Thanks in advance

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kiran k wrote:

Can i copy or move these  projects created in SEGW from one system to another if so, how?

As already explained by Ashwin, If you are talking about systems connected by TMS (i.e. Development, Quality and Production) then as usual the objects are moved by transport requests similar to how we transport other ABAP repository objects such as ABAP reports, tables etc.

but if you are talking about recreating SEGW project in system (from different landscape which are not connected by TMS) then you can export the metadata file and import into other system. you can refer and Importing Data Model from File - SAP NetWeaver Gateway Foundation (SAP_GWFND) - SAP Library but this will just recreate the Data model. you need to manullay copy the code from *DPC_EXT class and implement it into copied project.

-Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chandra

I think this is something i am actually looking at.

I am new to GW segw , can you suggest with below questions

When you refer *DPC_EXT class , are you referring with runtime artifacts generated ?In runtime artifacts i can see, other classes as well.

SRV, MDL, DPC, DPC_EXT, MPC,MPC_EXT,and other BAPI name class

Do i need to Copy the code only from DPC EXT class or also from others as well.

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Kiran.

once you import edmx file and generate runtime artifacts, it will generate *DPC, *MPC classes etc. and yes you need to copy just the code from DPC_EXT classes and put into the corresponding methods. in certain situations, there might be possibility to redefine methods of *MPC_EXT class. for such scenarios, you also need to copy code from methods of *MPC_EXT

In summary, whatever code you implemented in your original project, you need to copy all that code.

Regards,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Few more steps away to understand it more clear for my requirement.

Since for now i have generated the services only from bapi and have not made any changes in MPC / DPC classes , do i  need to copy any codes?

From what you said before , only the written codes in MPC or DPC need to be copied, right ?

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

even in case of generating service from BAPIs, the code will be generated in *DPC_EXT and *MPC_EXT classes. you can check the code implemented into your classes. and hence you need to copy that code as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any recommended procedure to export the code from MPC/DPC classes.I can see there are too many methods generated in MPC and DPC classes and copying the code manually from each would be a lot of manual work

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you want to create OData service using BAPIs then why don't you directly generate it as you did for original service. It will be more faster and easy way instead of copying.

for OData services where you implement methods by manual code, the above procedure of copying makes sense.

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

You need not to copy the code from all methods. When you will import the edmx file and generate the runtime artifacts, the DPC, MPC, DPC_EXT and MPC_EXT classes will be created with the methods. So for now you just copy the code from only redefined methods of DPC_EXT and MPC_EXT classes. Also copy the BAPIs used for mapping.

In new enviornment:

• copy the edmx file,
  • map the entity sets to the BAPIs
  • generate the runtime atrifacts,
  • then paste the copied code in respective methods of DPC_EXT or MPC_EXT class only

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

You need to lock all the GW Related objects in a Transport Request and move that to the other system.

Say for example you have created your GW Service in Dev system and now to move the same to a Test System, you need to lock all necessary GW Objects in a Transport Request and then move it to Test System.

Regards,

Ashwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

But i am looking to export my project from my current system and import the same project in another system(just like the feature i can see in WEBIDE / eclipse). This would help to continue the existing projects development from the new system again.

Thanks in advance

Kiran

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABAP Objects will be moved through a Transport Request.

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moving of ABAP Objects to another System always happens through a Transport.

Below will help ->

Former Member
0 Kudos

can't i export the projects and import them back ?

Can i modify or extend my projects from transport requests once imported in the new system ?

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you want to Modify / Extend any project which is already transported to Test System, in that case you need to do necessary changes in the Dev system, test it and lock that change in a Transport Request.

Now transport this to the Quality System.

This is followed to ensure the code consistency across the system ( Dev, Quality & Production )

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

In terms of SEGW tool, you can not export the gateway project into some files or package and import in any other system. While you can copy the project and create a new project but in the same system.

As Ashwin said, if you need to move your gateway developments to some other system, it has to be handled through transport machenism. You can modify or extend the projects if the target client is editable (for example: usually quality systems in the same landscape are not editable but in case if you move your transport from one dev server to another dev server, it is editable).

Regards,
Ekansh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah , you are absolutely right .That would work in three tier landscape for TR movement in dev, quality, prod

But my problem is ,  for some reasons, our development system back up is going to be restored with 2 weeks ago back up . now  i am supposed to take a back up of all my project developments in segw. and need to import the same project once back up is restored.

How do u suggest ?

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case as Chandra mentioned with a blog backup your Model as EDMX file.

Keep a copy of all the code which are manually added in DPC_EXT class ( if any ).

Later you can import that EDMX file, perform mapping, generate runtime objects and add previously written code in the newly generated DPC_EXT class.