cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event Handler Validation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to throw a warning if a default isn't present on creation of a column.  Is it possible to have a warning window rather than an error window pop up when a validation event is used?   I've looked at Initialize and CanCreate, but they don't seem to fit this situation.  Any feedback?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would add a custom check for this one; a Validate event handler will run lots of times when you don't want it to, such as obtaining a list of columns. The Initialise event handler could call the same function as the custom check does

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jane,

your event handler (Validate, Initialize or any other) doesn`t have to end by False return value. You can warn your user using output message in Output window. I don`t recommend using MsgBox function in any event handler. According to my experience it causes unpredicable errors, which are hard to reveal.

You are talking about the moment of creation of column. Instead of warning, I`d suggest adding few lines of code into the Initialize event handler, which will fill the Column Default value instantly.

Hope this helps,

Ondrej