Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When changing SAP source table causes drop trigger

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Recently we had an issue where a table stopped replicating with ERROR status in our development HANA environment due to a dropped trigger.  We were able to trace the drop trigger command to an abap user who had made a change to the source table directly in SAP.  Apparently they added a brand new field to the append structure of table MARC.  It seems somehow this automatically deleted the triggers.  Not such a big deal in development but once we move the change to production this is a big deal because all HANA reports using this table will experience downtime if we have to drop and reload this table.  My questions;

1) Should adding a NEW field drop the triggers?

2) What types of changes to a SAP source table would causes us to have to drop and reload a table?  Before this recent event I thought that only changes to existing fields would cause this issue (ie: changing a datatype of a field, or length etc) however I thought adding brand new fields to the append structure would not be an issue.

We are on REV 82.  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

-Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is probably a bug (or feature) in the SAP DDIC activation. SAP Note 1875769 describes one but that could be responsible. SAP Note 1749824 mentions that other table changes can also result in the loss of triggers.

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin, I looked into that note and verified the following;

Note 1875769 was successfully applied in source system

Note 1749824 had status of 'cannot be implemented' for some reason

So I have to dig into if that has anything to do with our issue.  But can you or anybody tell me if we should in theory be able to add new fields to a table via APPEND without having to drop triggers each time? 

Thanks

-Patrick

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

FYI.  We've been busy testing different scenarios on a test table that we loaded with records and replicated into HANA development and then transported into SAP staging and replicated into HANA staging there as well before any of our tests below;

A

1) Replicated table into development HANA

2) Appended new field with default value NULL

3) Trigger got automatically dropped

B

1) Replicated table into development

2) Appended new field with default value blank space

3) Trigger not affected

C

1) Replicated table into development

2) Appended new field decimal with default value 0.00

3) Trigger not affected

Interestingly when we transported each of the above scenarios into staging NONE of them caused trigger drop in staging.  We expected scenario A to drop trigger.  So we are currently scratching our heads.

-Patrick

Answers (0)