cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you store roles in an LDAP Data Source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a way to use a LDAP only data source so that all principal information is stored and retrieved from my directory. I see that you can have the data source use LDAP for users, groups and accounts, but I also want to store my roles in the directory. Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

praveenkumar_kadi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

There is no way to store the roles in the LDAP. They are kept in the portal DB. Also, portal roles aren't used for authentication like roles are in R/3. They are used mainly for determining what a user can see in the portal.

The authentication in the portal is based on the user id and password. when you log on to the portal. You will be assigned a role(s) for what you can see in the portal. The actual authentication to application come from the back end systems. For example, even if you have a portal role that lets you have access to a transaction in R/3, if you don't have the back end authorization you won't be able to get at the data.

I hope this helps.reward points if it so,

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are not using the portal. We just use standard J2EE applications. We have a customer that has existing roles and users in a ldap server and they want to be able to use those users and roles for thier J2EE applications.

praveenkumar_kadi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think your second question is quite different from the previous one, where you asked whether we can store roles in LDAP. ? as for as i know we can't

with ref to your next question, I am not sure whether i can able to tell you exactly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need JAAS Login module for LDAP. As far I know SAP WAS has LDAP module. You can also write your own Login Module.