cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Node Distribution: Converting scaled-out system to single-host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We have an existing sandbox system that is scaled out to 4 hosts, and we need to convert it to single-host.

We found SAP Note  2040346 where it says we need to mofify the following:

1. Adapt the table _SYS_RT.TABLE_PLACEMENT according to  1908075.

2. Use "remove host" from the Administration View in the SAP HANA Studio to unconfigure the database node that we want to remove.

What we dont understand is this phrase:

"you should use the landscape redistribution tool once the node is removed to redistribute the tables in accordance with the "new" rules in _SYS_RT.TABLE_PLACEMENT. To do this, ensure that the options "enable_merge" = true and "force_partnum_to_splitrule" = true are set in the indexserver.ini section [table_redist] before executing the plan generation."

What is landscape redistribution tool and how can we launch and use it? What is plan generation? Is there an SAP standard guide that describes the whole process of removing nodes? Please advise. Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

ANG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello alphanancygolf,

As according to note 2040346 (this note just mentions delete nodes not to be only one node), in my view, landscape redistribution tool is mostly to be tab Landscape > redistribution in HANA studio to redistribute tables according to the new landscape.

And for plan generation, it is the execute plan to make the SQL more efficient.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Note 2093572 describes the necessary steps more in detail including screenshots.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

The note you gave is very helpful, but it's for migration between two systems. Whereas in my situation, I have one existing system scaled out to 4 servers and I want to remove the 3 servers so my system will be single-host. How can I do this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right, it doesn't fit perfectly to your scenario. You can check the section "Add or Remove Hosts from an SAP HANA System" of the SAP HANA Administration Guide for more details of your scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have followed the procedure from the admin guide about removing hosts, but I am getting an error "REORG FAILED" when i tried to remove one of the hosts. And I couldn't figure out where to go to see the error and what is causing it. Does anyone know?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi alpha,

one of the service traces (most likely the indexserver trace) of the respective host should contain a more detailed information why the reorg failed. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact trace component to look for, but searching for "reorg" in the trace should yield some information.

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting the logs below:

LandscapeReorg   Tables.cpp(01538) : requested TableInfo Object [SAPHANPRD:_SYS_SS_TBL_1561876_RET] not found. Returning 'Invalid'.

LandscapeReorg   Tables.cpp(01163) :  Found part info without table metadata! Ignoring this Entry. PartInfo: SAPHANPRD:_SYS_SS_TBL_1561876_RET~0; NumRows=0; NumRowsOfDeps=0; Size=0; SizeOfDeps=0;

LandscapeReorg   PartInfo.cpp(01201) : general exception caught.

Actual counted 12 LOB-Files on hananode1:30003. Host is not empty.

What does this mean?