cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brrecover missery

h_vanengeland
Explorer
0 Kudos

We came across some nasty effects of our decision to change some paths on our production system.

Let’s start with the present configuration.

The Oracle layer

A Windows 2012 R2 cluster with 4 nodes,

Oracle 11.2.0.4, and the Oracle fail safe miracle stuf

Using mount points for the disks

R:\       

<SID>_Data (Oracle Home)

<SID>_LogA (Oracle LogA)

<SID>_LogB (Oracle LogB)

<SID>_Arch (Oracle Archive)

<SID>_Div (Oracle Backup)

E:\

\oracle\<SID>\11204 contains the oracle stuf

The SAP layer

A windows 2012 R2 cluster with 2 nodes,

Sapcentral services

Enqueue replicator

The SAP application Layer

Lots of SAP application servers with DIA/BTC/SPO/

SAP (as configured) uses R:\GEP_Div\sapbackup as the backup disk to place backups.

The environment variable SAPDATA_HOME=R:\<SID>_DATA\ORACLE\<SID>

And now you ask what’s the problem this seems fine if it works, well now for the first time we want to perform a system copy and the problem starts.

The BRRECOVERY tool doesn’t allow you to get  the backup files from another location as they were written with the backup. The data.K files are written on R:\<SID>_Div\sapbackup, copied to a different server to W:\sapbackup. Trying to restore ??? no way, You can’t

The only way to come around this, is by altering the backup.and file that seems to work but then the second problem arose.

Control files are not restored due to the fact that brrestore can’t find the files because it’s looking in the wrong directory.

Putting an OSS call just results in “This is consulting” answer and not something like “Oeps thanks for letting us know BRRESTORE has some problems”

So We address to you.

Did anybody come across the problem to restore Oracle datafiles in mixed configurations in a Windows platform? (or Unix, the parameters would be the same we think)

We have seen the parameter –m of brrestore but you can’t use directory’s to be replaced. Or who knows how to use the –p parameter file. –x is undocumented and only drive letters can be changed.

Who has tips

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henk,

If I've understood you correctly your drive letters and your directory names are different.

eg:

SOURCE = R:\PRD_DATA

TARGET = Z:\QAS_DATA

You want to do a brrecover from source to target and brrecover expects the drive letters and paths to be the same as the SOURCE on the TARGET. Have I understood you correctly ?

If I have understood you correctly then you have already part of the possible solution with -remap.

As for the folder names being different, have you tried creating a symbolic link with the command mklink so that brrecover can resolve the names it expects ?

eg: mklink Z:\PRD_DATA Z:\QAS_DATA

I'm not really a windows man but I just tested that and when I write a file to Z:\PRD_DATA it appears in Z:\QAS_DATA

Kind Regards,

Amerjit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henk,

If I have understood your problem correctly please try the below solution.

for restoring use

brrestore -m full -b <det_log_file> -c       (det_log_file= for example bdkxxsrh.anf)

The log file bdkxxsrh.anf where you can change the paths of all the files (ie whichever directory you keep the backup, both source and destination)

Regards,

Suresh Daniel.

h_vanengeland
Explorer
0 Kudos

An update of our quest.

Over a good night sleep and lots of coffee  me colleague and I tried to use Microsoft Mklink to redirect the original locations retrieving the backups as well as the new locations for storing the data. This seems to work although we think it should be possible to solve this within brtools.

Sadly to say we still need to test the parameter NEW_DB_HOME. But as our managers are not interested in beautiful solutions but only interested in goals and dates we needed a quick method to make a systemcopy's

Upcoming week I have some time to spend so I want to test this new parameter. I'll keep you informed.

What really makes me sad is the fact that SAP isn't interested in this problem and keeps repeating that it is a consulting question. Dhuu.

This problem is related to having multiple databases on a separated Oracle cluster environment. This uses a lot of mount points as in Unix. Because Windows runs out drive letters pretty soon wen having 4 cluster nodes and 5 databases. Mount points are therefore a need solution

henk

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Henk,

Deadlines are deadlines, no matter who drops dead, you got to meet deadlines

Good luck.

Regards,

Siddhesh

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Henk,

Try setting the parameter - new_db_home - SAP Database Guide: Oracle (BC-DB-ORA-DBA) - SAP Library

Set this in init<SID>.sap run the restore with -p <modified init<sid>.sap

Combine this with -m to redirect directories if you wish.

See if it works.

Regards,

Siddhesh