cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central configuration in SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have heard that it is best not to use SM for configuration of SAP systems.....and instead make the config changes locally in the relevant SAP system.

I do not know why this should be and would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to add the lifecycle and integration aspects to the above comments, because it explains that the additional effort to assign the configuration (and other) content to the scenarios and processes is worth it. The content (configuration, documentation, test cases, ...) that is maintained in the blueprint and configuration phase is not "lost" at the end of the project. This content can be used during the complete lifecycle (implementation --> configuration --> test --> operations (maintenance)/continuous improvement --> upgrade --> operations --> ...) . You transfer it to the Solution Directory (Operations) and can use it during maintenance. If an upgrade is necessary this content is used in the upgrade project. After the upgrade you will use it again in the Solution Directory.

Best regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In solution manager central configuration gives you easy administration for satellite systems.What you heard is wrong.

Now sap recommanded that through solution manager we need to download the support patches.In order to download we need to configure maintanace optimizer,satellite systems.

And solution manager is a free of cost.

i hope it will help you.

kiran kumar.v

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick/Raghu/Kiran,

I feel Patrick might have been said so(by his friends/colleagues) becos

(1) For configuring the Biz. Scenarios via Solution Manager, the functional consultants are in need of specifying the name of the IMG objects which they will be configuring in the satellite systems. Practically, most of the functional consultants are used to do these configurations directly by navigating via the spro.

(2) Becos of the requirement from Solution Manager like the name of the IMG objects are needed for configuration, it makes the functional consultants feel to have the additional burden of finding the names of the IMG objects which they need to configure in the satellite systems.

(3) For finding the names of the IMG objects, they anyhow have to login to the satellite systems and enter the same into SolMan system. Then again have to navigate from the SolMan system to the satellite system to do the actual configuration.

Please note, all my above arguments are about Biz. Scenario configuration and not central configuration.

Anyways, I accept that central configuration is a positive aspect of Solution Manager, as Solution Manager itself is providing lot of information about central configuration.

best regds,

Alagammai.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have been wrongly guided. IT doesn't make any difference, its obvious that you will be logging into your local system (We call this as Satellite System for SOLMAN), but through RFC. So, I would recommend you to use SOLMAN to make central System Administration, the reason being, you don't have to log in to your satellite system often, and you will have a very good look and feel, moreover you have default frequencies suggested by SOLMAN.

Hope this solves your problem.

Feel free to revert back.

--Ragu

Message was edited by:

Raguraman C