cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sp_iqemptyfile

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone please verify whether or not sp_iqemptyfile can:

1. have multiple sp_iqemptyfile jobs running in parallel; for example, each of those jobs empties one user dbspace, but several are running simultaneously.

2. be stopped before it has finished (for example using drop connection) without loosing the work that had been done up to that point.

Has any one had any experience migrating from raw partitions managed by Sun Volume Manager to raw partitions managed by ZVOL?

Can any one address this question:

If when migrating from Sun Volume Manager (SVM) to ZVOL, before the migration was complete, i.e before all old user dbspaces had emptied and been marked OK to drop, and therefore the state of the user dbspaces is  some of them are managed by SVM and some by ZVOL...if the database was stopped, and then a restart of it was attempted, would the database start?

Thanks in advance for any comments and ideas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Steve,

Most of the time you cannot have multiple empty file jobs running.  We require locks on all tables in that file being moved.  So two files in the same dbspace would have conflicts in that area.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

I did have the opportunity to abort the sp_iqemptyfile and restart it. It does seem to start up from where it left off. Judging by the iqmsg file, it looks like IQ checks to see what it has already moved, and then continues moving what it had not yet moved. Upon restart, the iqmsg file re-reports "Data from Table_xyz" moved successfully, for the tables it has already moved. Apparently it starts at the beginning of the list of tables, checks the status and reports again a Table has been moved...but the second time it is fairly instantaneous. I've done one restart and when I grep the iqmsg file for the Table has been moved message and I see 2 entries, one with the original timestamp, the second with the later timestamp, but as I say the second time around it reports the table has been moved really quickly..meaning(I think) it's not actually moving data ..

We also completely stopped IQ and rebooted the hardware and the database still came up ok.