Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prospective SAP Student with a non-IT degree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a graduate of psychology and am currently working in an IT company under the learning support wing. I've facilitated numerous sessions covering SAP (just a facilitator and not a speaker) and it has gotten my interest to think about entering SAP.

As this is a big investment in career, time, and money, I wanted to ask current SAP professionals on how feasible is it for a psychology graduate to enter the world of SAP?

I was pondering on whether learning about BASIS or ABAP. I've read that BASIS deals more with system admin and ABAP has more to do with the developer /programmer role.

I'm pretty good with logic and coding and have always had a niche for computer technology and process improvement. Just recently i've started to take online courses in learning Python and I think that I will fit more comfortably in the development side of SAP.

I wanted to know your thoughts on my situation and whether it is a viable career move. My current company does not want to offer a mentoring session mainly because of the information involved in SAP is confidential and belongs to external accounts.

Any feedback would be of great help

-Paolo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paolo,

Its really interesting carreer move from Psychology to SAP, am sure you have very justifyable reasons for that.

As you have explored your logical and programming skills and is pretty confident and interested in it, surely you should look at ABAP or any related programing module in SAP.

Its all matters on your skills and interest, and it surely will be viable career move. It will be even good, if you enroll for a graduation program in computers (or any specific technology of ur choise).

Regards

jobi

3 REPLIES 3

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paolo,

Its really interesting carreer move from Psychology to SAP, am sure you have very justifyable reasons for that.

As you have explored your logical and programming skills and is pretty confident and interested in it, surely you should look at ABAP or any related programing module in SAP.

Its all matters on your skills and interest, and it surely will be viable career move. It will be even good, if you enroll for a graduation program in computers (or any specific technology of ur choise).

Regards

jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jobi,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been pretty much enamored with Technology and Software so much so that I've wondered why I didn't take computer science as a course in college in the first place - I think being hired by an IT company solidified my interest in the field.

I've thought of another concern which involves hiring companies: So given that I've come from a background of a non-IT college course and just happened to have training in SAP ABAP. As a fresher, by how much would my application be crippled?

I'm sensing that companies would want a fresher with at least a college degree in IT or Engineering but the best IT background I have is my exposure to the different capabilities that my current employer offers and my interest in the field itself.

Would companies be hesitant to hire me even in a starting position?  Do you have any insight on how companies hire SAP practitioners nowadays? It might have been easier before since SAP was a new solution. But now that it's had some time in the market, to what extent are they selective of applicants?

Thanks very much and hope to hear from you!

0 Kudos

Hi Paolo,

Your concern is very much real.

It will depend on market to market. I donno about the sap job market and recruitments in your country. In my place, normally companies prefer people who have an IT degree, but its not an important criteria as even arts, commerce or life science graduates gets job in SAP field.

Here, mostly experince matters, and as a fresher , its very difficult to get SAP job.

You can decide as per the job market in your place. Having a graduation in computers will be very advantageous over a long run.

Regard

Jobi