cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Migration and Upgradation in BO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am very confused of the terms I have found while searching in google on Migrating the content from BO 3.1 to BO 4.0.

Some were saying migrating the content using some process and some were mentoning upgrading the version of BO using some process.

I am changing from BO 3.1 to BO 4.0. what actually we must use here. Is it Migration or Upgrading.

After searching I found that, if system architecture is different, then it is migration if not it is upgradation. is it correct. ?

Can any one give a clear vision on this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. go for BI 4.1
  2. install it on a new Box
  3. Use Upgrade Management tool to bring content from XI3.1 to BI4.1
  4. decommission XI3.1

that's it

please search for "BI Pattern Books" on SCN for the ultimate resource

regards

H

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The difference in simple terms is:

Upgrading - changing the version that you are currently on while remaining on the same physical platform

Migration - new version on a new box

In addition to what Henry has said, based on a previous migration, I would strongly recommend upgrading to at least 4.1 SP3. There are changes to the way that complex formula are migrated that could potentially save you months of rewriting formula.

The security model is hardly changed but the big change is the Webi interface. We've been inflicted with the dreaded ribbon menu that Microsoft thought was a good idea.While change can be a good thing, SAP have introduced extra clicks for many actions which isn't good.