cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BODS 4.2 Installation: Windows or Linux?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planning an fresh installation of BODS 4.2 SP4, using IPS 4.1 SP4. We have used both Windows and Linux here and I would like to know which OS other administrators prefer and why.

Thank you,

Andrew

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

severin_thelen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Andrew,

I am no SAP BO admin, but in addition to my DS development, I do standard administrations for DS, but I do this on windows.

In my opinion the important question is: Do you have good linux admins?

I ask this question, because my experience is, that if you have no good linux admins (which knows linux and DS), DS on linux is the hell.

Our main problem was, that the admins had no idea of DS (not there faults) and I had no idea of linux. So I said, the job server does not run, please check the job server. They asked me how? Another thing is, that I could not check, what they have done. So they create a job server, but it does not work, because they do it in a wrong way. Therefor everything was very complicated.

Another advantage of windows is, that you have a DS client on the server machine. So you could check functionally on the same machine and for example exclude network issues.

The other thing is, that if you want to have a really save system, you need linux, because it is better for this demand.

I hope I could help you a little bit.

Regards,

Severin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Severin.

This is helpful. Our linux server admins are not highly experienced with BODS and my linux skills are intermediate. You make a good point about having a DS client on the server machine, too.

We have been leaning towards going with Windows and unless I hear compelling cases from other members that's likely what we'll do.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dirk Thank you for your reply that is useful I will try to get approval to attend that course in October. I've summarized my thoughts based on the above and on our particular situation: 

Windows Pros:

Ability to promote code directly on the application servers via central repositories

Ability to configure and manage repositories and job servers directly on the Servers

Ability to troubleshoot issues by replicating same action on the server to isolate problem to the client.

Windows Cons:

Servers must be restarted weekly to keep them functioning with alacrity

Our proposed sizing of 12 CPU/64 GB Ram is at the limit of Windows Standard edition capability, so scaling up will be an issue once the project starts.

We've had problems with Virtual Memory allocation and pageable cache settings

LINUX Pros:

Servers can be scaled up or down easily

servers need not be restarted each week (more stability)

Code promotion can be accomplished via new functionality in the Management Console or via multiple terminal servers.

LINUX Cons:

user lack of knowlege; ds admin has no linux experience, just bods on windows

Basis team has some linux experience, but not supporting bods on linux. They also handle

our DS installations and manage our Oracle DBs.

LINUX admin has not BODS experience.

There are no specific courses on Administering BODS on Linux

We cannot troubleshoot issues using the application servers.

Not knowing whether our terminal servers will be a choke point for the landscape.

I should note that we use VMWare so all of our servers are virtual. We are planning for

Development; 2 App, 2 DB

QA, 2 App, 2 DB

Prod, 2 App, 2 DB

(all 12 cpu/64gb ram)

Then 2 Terminal Servers for Developers to access DS Client ( 2cpu/16gb)

and possibly 2 QA and 2 Prod Terminal Servers (2cpu/16gb) if they are needed for the admins to promote the code. If the new tool/functionality in the DSMC is robust enough to handle multiple simultaneous promotions by two admins then we would go with that.

Right now the management is favoring a switch to LINUX for stability and scaling, I just want to make sure we can take advantage of all that cpu and ram with fast clean code promotion and being able to support and quickly troubleshoot issues without the application server access I'm used to.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I would suggest a Windows 2008 R2 Server with minimum 4 GB RAM(would recommend 32 GB) for installing Job Server and Windows 7 for DS Client tools. Linux would be a god option but you will need to learn administration of BODS(Start/Stop and management of BODS Services) on linux.

As Severin said that you would need good linux admins who have idea of BODS Admin,it would be safe to stick to Windows Job Server as it make your life easier. If you want a safe and secure access to BODS server as per company policies then you can go for RHEL(Red Hat Linux Enterprise).

Wish you luck!!

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stick to your standard OS, functionally there's no difference. The only annoying thing about DS on Linux is the lack of a GUI, Server Management must be done thru a command-line interface.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

It appears that we are leaning toward Linux for our next BODS deployment. We have previously been on Windows. It seems that the lack of a gui on the server would preclude some troubleshooting capabilities, and as you said the server management environment configuration. My question is, what about promotion of code via central repositories? I was thinking I could have a remote terminal server for my developers to develop, then another for QA and Prod and would be able to promote the code via central repository that way.

Also, are there any courses would recommend to a BODS admin such as myself familiar with configuration and management in a Windows environment. Our BASIS team will handle the installation of the product, our LINUX team will be available for me but they have not BODS knowledge. I will need to direct them regarding server management, config, database settings etc.

Thanks,

Chris

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I always install the DS client tools on a Windows terminal server, that's the way to go! For promotion of code to the other tiers in your landscape, you can also use the Data Services Object Promotion Management, which is launched from the Administrator in the Data Services Management Console.

There's a brand new SAP Data Services Administration course (DS100 - I haven't taught it myself yet, it's on my schedule for beginning of October), more details on

https://training3.sap.com/shop/course/ds100-sap-data-services-administration-classroom-095-us-en/