cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxdb - Backup - Netbackup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a content server 2.7 Tb database which until now we been backing up to local file system & then from there to Tapes using Netbackup as file system backup. our system details are

OS is AIX
Maxdb version is 7.6.06.20
Netbackup is 7.5.0.7

We want to convert that backup to go to tapes directly rathen than going to local disk first. We were able to do this for all Dev/Qa systems & they been running fine.

My questions is regarding optimising the speed for our Production system. We are using parallel medium with 2 pipes. We noticed that maximum size of each pipe used was 32KB.

Is there any way we can increase the size of pipe or use more than one parallel medium as one parallel medium can have only 2 pipes.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Ajay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Can you show me with the screenshots for "parallel medium with 2 pipes" and "

maximum size of each pipe used was 32KB"? I am not pretty sure where you get this point.

Best regards,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Please see below output for Medium called BackData which is a pipe.

BACKData\P01    /sapdbbackup/SDB/db_backup/medium1      PIPE    DATA    0      8      NO      NO              20150417025613  20150417025613          BACK

BACKData\P02    /sapdbbackup/SDB/db_backup/medium2      PIPE    DATA    0      8      NO      NO              20150417025614  20150417025614          BACK

So while there is no backup running  there are no medium1 & medium2 pipes. When the backup starts running you can actually see pipes

/sapdbbackup/SDB/db_backup/medium1

/sapdbbackup/SDB/db_backup/medium2

When the backup is running the size of pipe varies from 0 to maxium 32768 bytes.

Thanks,

Ajay

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Ajay,

I am not sure whether we are able to increase size of a pipe. Maybe you can consult netbackup.
However we can increase parallel from 2 parallel which is currently you are using. You can increase parameter MaxBackupMedia and then you can define more parallel when creating backup template.

Please note MaxBackupMedia only takes effect after restarting database.  You may need to try to give 4 parallel, because it is not more parallel more better. You have to find a suitable parallel for your

landscape.

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Thanks for your response. This is exactly we are looking for.

How do we define backup template or maxbackup media. We are running daily automatically scheduled backups with help of scripts having below command:

dbmcli -u control,Password -uUTL -d SDB backup_start BACKData DATA, where BACKData is our parallel media with 2 pipes for full backup.

Is maxbackupmedia supported for our database release which is 7.6. Do we have any supported document which can help us in setting it up.

Only documents I tried looking on google were for db release more than 7.8.

Please suggest.

Warm Regards,

Ajay Sehgal

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

You can install database studio which is a tool to admin maxdb as per SAP note 1464618.

Then you can check our maxdb expert session 11, 13 from link below:

http://maxdb.sap.com/training/

Afterwards if you are still not able to use, please do let me know.

Best regards,
James