cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to Excel - Auto Open?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have seen the Exporting from VC document and found it very useful, it worked for me.

However, end users being end users they don't want a copy+paste functionality -- they want a click-and-excel-opens-with-the-data functionality.

Does anyone have any experience/success with this? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for comments,

Regards,

Nic Doodson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member203343
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We will <b>try</b> to address this feature on SP15. Please let me know what is your priority for this feature?

Thanks,

Natty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, as we were exploring alternatives last few days. At the moment we're looking from anything to BSP to formatted stylesheets, but the export to Excel functionality is the only requirement missing when we would choose to go with Visual Composer.

Our situation: we're nearing the end of an implementation project and a new requirement from the business popped up where they would like to see long texts (>60 char's) in several reports. BI is unable to display these, but Visual Composer can! Unfortunately the exporting functionality isn't as comparable to exporting from a BI report so we're a bit stressed over here.

Would there be a possibility to have a working exporting to Excel functionality within Visual Composer? Unfortunately the release of SP15 will take too long, but we could consider installing hotfixes or additional notes/packages as this is a high priority issue.

former_member203343
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Woutert,

This feature is not going to released in a patch or note. However, if you would like, open an OSS message and I'll try to do a hot fix straight on your machine. Please note that you will have to do the QA yourself (although I once made that and it looks like it's working correctly. SAP will not be responsible for any problems it might cause, since it's not an official feature yet.

Regards,

Natty

former_member203343
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

You can achieve this by 2 actions (unfortunately... we don't support "Export to Excel" but only "Export")

Use the EXPORT action on one button, to copy the data to the clipboard., Then, use the HYPERLINK action and call an html file on a server (IIS for example) that looks like this:

<html>
<body onload="openExcel()">
<script language="javascript">
var excel = null;
function openExcel()
{
		if(excel == null)
		{
		 excel = new ActiveXObject("Excel.Application");
		}
		var workbook = excel.Workbooks.Add();
		workbook.Activate();
		var worksheet = workbook.Worksheets("Sheet1");
		worksheet.Activate();
		worksheet.Paste();
		excel.visible=true;
}
</script>
</body>
</html>

I know it looks cumbersome, but this looks like the only way...

Hope this helps,

Natty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Netanel,

We are facing the same issue. Can you plz explain solution in more detail?

Regards,

Apurva

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello all

to the problem of exporting to excel, some time ago I found a solution, I hope they are helpful.

Read the below thread

greetings

Edited by: Manuel Sandoval on Apr 6, 2009 5:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nic,

I'm still working on it, but I haven't enough time at the moment. My idea is to use a Webservice or RFC which creates the Excel document.

Maybe you have enough time to develop a good solution and share this solution here.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

thanks for the response. I think some of my developers might have a go at a custom solution and if they're successful I'll share the results.

Cheers,

Nic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nic,

this would be great. You can add this solution in our VC Wiki. Then I will assign you points for the solution.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nic,

Could you please specify whether or not your custom development provided a useful solution? At my current project we're running into requirements where extensive VC models need to be exportable to either Excel or PDF (preferably both) and using a manual step (copy-paste) won't be accepted.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.