Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use different column Name in Analytic View depending by logon session language

sergio_azzaretti
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi everybody.

Is it possible to have different column names for ONE single Analytic View column depending by the Client session language?

For instance:

- we have one (only one)  column name let's say that is 'fatturato' (for an Italian Client session) and 'invoiced' (for an English Client session) etc.. etc..

in other word the 'column name' changes depending by the language but the column is only 1 (one).

Is it possible to manage this and how? In SAP Hana Studio?

Is it possible to store in some way the different names of that column and relate them to the column itself?

Thank you in advance

Best regards.

Sergio

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dmitry_kuznetsov1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

What I find @ SAP Help is Maintain Modeler Object Labels in Multiple Languages

Is this something you're looking for?

Cheers,

Dmitry

www.bi-consulting.eu

former_member220897
Participant
0 Kudos

That's right, but only starting from SPS10, for previous versions you would use RTT tool.

former_member226419
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes..Goto Quick launch tab--> Migrate--> Add---> OK

This model will be in a multilingual now.

BR

Sumeet

sergio_azzaretti
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sumeet.

We already did your suggestion...

But after the action:

" tab--> Migrate--> Add---> OK"

what do you have to do to have a multi-language column naming?

Let's say we have a column name = 'product' (in English).

We'd like to have for the same column also the following name:

- 'prodotto'  ->  for Italian

- 'produit'  -> for French

- 'produkt' -> for German

.. and so on

depending  by the Client session language (and this has to be done automatically of course).

How this can be achieved?

Thank you

Sergio

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

there is no such functionality in SAP HANA studio.

Typically the idea is to not have the data model multi-language enabled, but the reports and applications that interact with the data model.

SAP HANA studio is not meant as a end-user tool, but really only for administration and development.

- Lars

andrea_davoli83
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I'm a bit confused:

SAP push a lot the use of reporting directly on SAP HANA views not passing throw BI Universes; avoid (where possible) use of universes;

self BI and visual analytics as a new standard and a basic functionality, two language definition for a column, is not provided?  

Thanks

Andrea

andrea_davoli83
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sumeet,

could you give me some info about this topic?

Is the Self BI direct on HANA Views only in one dictionary language?

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrea,

As I know, the name of a column can't be multi-language.

But the data value of a column in a HANA Information View can be multi-language.

You can have a try with the text-join in a HANA information View.

Create Attribute Views - SAP HANA Developer Guide for SAP HANA Studio - SAP Library

andrea_davoli83
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

text joins are working in our model, but this kind of solutions is for occurences into attributes views.

f.e. product cod 1000 has two language descriptions based on SPRAS field (in SAP environment):

1000 - IT - "MOTORE"

1000 - EN - "ENGINE"

This is quite clear and actually working.

I would like to know why there is a "migration" function (Quick launch tab--> Migrate--> Add---> OK) who involved entire package or single view (attr-analytic-calculation) and what I can done with this function by use logon language, as Sumeet wrote in previous post or if there is a work-around or "future release" of this features.

Thanks thousand

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrea,

Ok. I got your point.

According to your question, I think the tool RTT may help you.

RTT is Repository Translation Tool, a Java-based command line tool shipped with the SAP HANA client that enables you to transport language files in a standard format between the SAP HANA repository and a file system or between the SAP HANA repository and a dedicated SAP translation system.

SAP HANA Repository Translation Tool - SAP HANA Developer Guide for SAP HANA Studio - SAP Library

If you have access privilege, you can have a check for the table _SYS_REPO.ACTIVE_CONTENT_TEXT_CONTENT. All translated words are stored there.

Moreover, the name of a column can not be translated but the label of a column can.

andrea_davoli83
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

what you said is our goal: translate HANA Views label into different language and obtain it from Self Service BI tools (analysis for office and so on)!

Do you have some experience on RTT tools?

Could you share to me the best SAP Guides, documents or some other stuff for go straight to the goal?

Thanks a lot!

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure. I'm using RTT.

I'm using Lumira over the translated text on HANA.

please check the link I sent before

former_member220897
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's a bit confusing, so for the sake of future search queries, I leave here the full instructions, which worked for me.

1. In HANA Studio, go to the package where your views are located and add and activate a file named translation.hdbtextbundle.  Just extension matters and you can leave the file empty.

2. Right-click the package to edit package properties. Fill in the following four fields:

Original Language=English,

Responsible= a db user name,

Terminology Domain = any two characters,

Text Collection = translation.hdbtextbundle

3. In Windows Explorer go to folder C:\Program Files\sap\hdbclient\rtt and edit the file rtt.properties in notepad. Fill in db settings:

# db settings

db.hostname=your.host.name

db.instance=00

db.user=hana db user

db.passwd= your password

4. In Windows Explorer go to folder C:\Program Files\sap\hdbclient and run cmd.exe

5. Optionally execute  set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45

6. Execute rtt --export -p your.package.name* -x C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\rtt_exports

7. If everything is ok, you'll end up with a bunch of .xlf files in the specified folder. E.g. 1.your.package.name.CA_YOURVIEW.calculationview.xlf

8. Rename the file by appending the desired target locale, e.g  1.your.package.name.CA_YOURVIEW.calculationview-tr_TR.xlf

9. Edit the xlf file in notepad. Add target-language attribute to the <file> tag. Example:

<file datatype="plaintext" original="your.package.name.CA_YOURVIEW.calculationview" source-language="en-US" target-language="tr-TR">

10. For each label that you want to translate, add <target> tag next to <source> tag. Example:<trans-unit xmlns:sap="urn:x-sap:sls-mlt" id="YOURATTRIBUTE" maxwidth="120" sap:sc="XCOL" size-unit="char">

<source>My original label</source>

<target>My translated label</target>

</trans-unit>

11. Save and execute rtt --import -p your.package.name* -x C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\rtt_exports

12. Verify in HANA Studio by running select * from _SYS_REPO.ACTIVE_CONTENT_TEXT_CONTENT

13. In HANA Studio set LOCALE user parameter for your HANA user. Then verify in reporting tools.

14. That's all! Very user-friendly, isn't it?

Thanks!

Andrey