cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculated Fields and General Strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am fairly new in HANA and have a deployment strategy question. Basically, as per the requirements, i want users to be able to connect to a semantic layer via Microsoft Excel and use it as OLAP cube. Secondly, we also want users to use Web intelligence reports and capabilities like SAP Lumira.

I know that we can connect to HANA using Excel fairly easily and is documented here so I am assuming that we need to have a semantic layer in HANA with all the calculated fields that users would like to see. However, if i then want to expose the same data to Web I, do I need to recreate the semantic layer in universe for Webi to access?

Is that a good practice?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

Once you define all the calculations at HANA Level, it's going to be just one to one mapping while creating universe using IDT. As of now you still need universe (semantic Layer) to use HANA models as source in Webi.

When it comes to Lumira, it can directly access HANA models as source.

Regards,

Venkat N.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As venkat rightly told, a universe will play a role in between when you need to connect to HANA using webi,

This document created in 2012 should help you to understand that step, especially in the optimization point of view.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50c2b4e1-c7be-2f10-1ca2-e10d95314...

BR

Prabhith