Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modes of transport

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are working in a shipper scenario where various modes of transport like road,rail,ocean, barge etc are used.Can the experts kindly inform if there is a way we can indicate from sales order processing for which mode of transport the OTR will be created in TM.Currently in OTR there is no way we can identify wheather the requirement is for road/rail/barge etc.Kindly do not consider order type as a reference.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

You can use the shipping condition filed on the sales order. That gets mapped to the transportation mode on the TM side.

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

But in config where is the mapping that shipping condition corresponds to transportation mode.

Ex-if shipping condition 01 is for road in ECC, how will it populate automatically under general data-Transportation mode description in OTR

tom_hornstra2
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

I'm afraid this answer is not correct. The mapping is between the Shipping Type (not shipping condition) and Transportation mode at TM side. The config is: SPRO > Logistics Execution > Transportation > Basic Transportation Functions > Routes > Define Routes > Define Modes of Transport

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Bimal_S
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What's the shipping type of the ECC route in SO? In shipping type definition, there is an assignment to Transportation mode. Please check TMode for the same shipping type both in ECC and TM. In addition to this check the incoming xml from SO and see what is the transportation mode.

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Throughout this we have discussed on sales process. What field we can use to identify transport mode for PO and STO process.

former_member194343
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

this seems to be a common issue/misunderstanding for shippers projects (also in our project...). The idea behind TM is: No transportation mode is predefined in the sales order, but TM determines the best/cheapest way of transporting goods.

Knowing this, your goal is to set up TM in a way that it returns the desired result automatically. There are quite a few levers you can use here (non-exhaustive):

- freight unit building rule (resulting in different FU types depending on values in sales order)

- setup of transportation network (for example, if a customer is only reachable via road, then there should be no transportation lanes enabling rail transport to this location)

- incompatibilities

Of course, you can use ERP fields like shipping condition to steer the behavior of TM. For example, if there's a condition like "Express", then the TM system might create parcel FOs instead of regular road transports in planning or prefer faster MTr instead of cheaper but slower ones. You could also use this to define the MTr for the "last mile" to the customer, but this is a concept we also have to evaluate (at which point in TM to steer this best)...

Generally speaking, you need a very good knowledge throughout the project team on the interaction of the different elements and parameters in TM, and you have to take time for conceptional thoughts.

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thx.

But can you let me know how will the system identify if there's a condition like "Express", then the TM system might create parcel FOs.What config drives this? Also can we use Transportation mode description field automatically filled up in OTR/FU when we use ERP fields liek shipping condition.

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Aprreciate your response here

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dipak,

How about defining a condition to map shipping condition/shipping type from sales order to MTr in TM. This condition determination can run at FU creation or FO creation. Please refer to the attached screenshot for mapping this condition at FU or FO level. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Priya

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thx.

But since means of transport is a description field in OTR, will the mapping help us to populate the value directly there in form of description?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dipak,

This mapping will not be reflected on OTR. As explained above in my reply to your query, the mapping condition can be enabled only at FU or FO level. I think that this should be fine in the scenario you are facing.

Best Regards,

Priya

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thx,.Even if its at FU level it will be ok for me.But if I summarise once the conditions are maintained then means  of transport ( along with it transportation mode) will be updated in the stages tab-Planning/execution ?

I also observe that transportation mode is available under General data tab in the FU.So which of the values will be updated based on this condition?

Bimal_S
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Do you have a shipping type and route in the Sales Order?

former_member193027
Participant
0 Kudos

yes