cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create child entity in Powerdesigner?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I recently started using Power designer 16.5.

I did not understand how to create a child entity in conceptual diagram.

For example:
I have an Employee entity and a Children entity.
Using PowerDesigner I created two entities Employee and Children in conceptual diagram. Now I'm not able to change Children entity into a child entity.

In properties of Children entity, I see <none> for attribute "Parent entity" and also does not give me any option beside it.

Can you please help me to create a child entity in conceptual diagram?

KR, vami.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

arnaud_laurent
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

What is the notation defined for your model? You can find it by selecting Tools > Model Options.

If you are looking to draw an inheritance link between Employee and Children, click the Inheritance tool in the palette and draw a link from Children to Employee.

It looks like the following for Entity/Relationship:

HTH,

Arnaud

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PowerDesigner computes the 'Parent Entity' from other metadata, it's just documentation. How you make one entity a child of another depends on the notation you're using. With Barker notation the simplest way is to drag the child onto the parent; with any other notation you need to create an inheritance; the simplest way is via a diagram - select the 'Inheritance' tool in the Toolbox, and draw a line from the child entity to the parent - to add more children draw the line from a child entity to the inheritance. Of course, you can just create a new Inheritance and amend the parent and child properties.