cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Components inspection at the picking and before consumption

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We need to figure out the scenario where manufacturing requires components inspection when production order is released..

We don't want to consume components before triggering inspection lot, because for my concern (and I think from a logical process flow) components have to be inspected to avoid their inclusion in the production.

By using inspection type 02, we have to consume components on the production order before triggering inspection lot. This is not what we want.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, I beg to defer form your understanding here.

The component items you are talking about,  should follow inspection process either while procuring form outside or materials should be inspected in-house for sub-assembly production. Both are very much standard process and uses inspection type "01" or "04" respectively. In some cases for testing the in-process quality business may also may be interested to check the "03" inspection types. And I believe, on top of that for testing some exceptional scenarios, you can still introduce manual inspection types "89". For some shelf-life managed components, business may also use recurring inspection type "09" which ensures that whatever material is available in store is Good to be used during production. With all these steps, if implemented the component quality can be ensured itself.

On top of that, if you still need to check the specific component quality you can furthermore introduce "02" inspection type as a valid way of testing the component quality. Now I d not understand, why is this not a valid case. Aren't you not using the other upstream quality management process? Please can you also confirm what is the subsequent process being followed at your business, I mean how you first take care (or wish to do...) of the component inspection and then do the production process. At what stage you do MvT 261, confirmation of operations, MvT 101, Final Inspection creation?

In case if you wish NOT TO USE INSPECTION TYPE "02", then I can suggest you to trigger a  BAPI/FM QPL1_INSPECTION_LOT_CREATE, immediately after production order is released. This FM should consider all the component materials and create manual inspection lots "89", where the components will not be consumed against production order.

Only tricky thing about such an enhancement will be like how to manage the subsequent downstream process. I mean, Once the manual inspection lots 89 are created for components, how will you ensure that all these inspection lots are result recorded and UD made, so that you can start the confirmation and GR process for production order!! To do this check, you can further make a note that the Production order is introduced as a text item in the manual inspection lots. Now during GR for Production order, it should first check this text field and find out all the 89 inspection lots for the production order components linked to it. In case if all the 89 inspection lots are not UD = A, then GR can't be posted.

Please can you check if this option is feasible for your business.

Thanks,

Arijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit,

Thanks for your contribution

Lets take an example in a discrete manufacturing environment with sub assembly prod order.

FERT = HALB1

+ RAW1

+ RAW 2

+ HALB2

RAW1 and 2 have been purchased from outside and inspection type "01" is applied for them, then we performed inspection for good receipt. This is out of my concern scope.

All the components being stored during a long time, we have to make sure to use the good components for manufacturing purpose. That's why we perform components inspection. But we have to do this before consuming them (mvt 261) on the prod order. That's why we cannot use Inspection type "02" because  in that case the inspection lot creation is triggered by goods consumption.

I think the only solution will be may be to use inspection type "08". I will transfer the components in QI by 322 mvt code. This will trigger inspection lots for visual inspection. I'll perform UD to send them in Unrestrcted use. But the only problem would the missing link with my prod order.

What do you think ?

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

In case you wish to link inspection with stock mvt, yes, you can try inspection type 08. But as you said, this will not be linked to your prod order. Then you will have a dependency, to manually do RR & UD, to complete upstream process. Then only you can do downstream process.

The other option which came to my mind is to get 89 inspection types for component materials (where ever applicable like HALB1, HALB2, etc) during order release. Now, these inspection lots have the prod order link 🙂 . You can do RR & UD and validate component quality.

In case of some issues for components, you can create parallel manual 89 inspection lots, and test it. After whichever material/batch is good, you can add it in prod ord component, and strike out the bad material.

You can also try using the other enhancement during UD to check all component 89 inspection lots, linked to the prod order has UD = A. Else throw error.

Thanks,

Arijit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

One more thought just came to my mind. In case if you are manually moving component stock MvT 322, and if the confirmation process for production order is started, then any deficit of component quantity will be reflected under COGI errors, for reprocessing later. Also, there might be a chance that confirmation of the operation got posted, which you need to reverse later.

I feel, if we go ahead with inspection lot 89 creation during production order release, then at that point all components are already available in stock, so there will not be COGI errors for components. Though you should also enhance your confirmation process to double check if the 89 inspection lots for component are flagged with UD = A.  If so, then there is no issues.

Please do not wait till UD for 04 inspection lot as I suggested above, as that will be a big delay which will call for lots of manual adjustments later. Sorry for the incorrect feedback.

Thanks,

Arijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit

I'm actually trying to test it with the 89 inspection type but I don't have any inspection lot for my components. I flagged some of them with insp type 89. I created control recipe  but I have a doubt on the Usage type .

I don't see any inspection lot for prod order release ?

By the way, how do I enhance my confirmation process to double check in the 89 inspection lots for component are flagged with UD = A, as you suggested ?

Thanks for your reply.

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I believe you have not done the enhancement yet. Please note that your process should work in the below sequence -

a) Materials (HALB1, HALB2,...) should have inspection type 89 added to it.

b) Production order is released. While release, User Exit during Prod Order release should check if all the HALB materials are added to inspection type 89 or not. If so, then it should call the inspection lot creation BAPI/FM QPL1_INSPECTION_LOT_CREATE, and pass on the HALB components and corresponding batch number (if any) to create inspection lots. Please note that this is NOT a automatic process, and hence this 1st enhancements needs to be done to achieve this functionality.. !!

c) While these inspection lots are generated, please ensure that Inspection lot TEXT field is populated with the Prod Order number to have 1:1 link between these manual inspection lots and the Prod Order. This is the 2nd enhancement you may need to do here to establish this link.

d) Now while you start CO11N or CO15, you need to figure out the appropriate PP User Exit to validate all the HALB materials having 89 inspection type added, Inspection lot created or not for these materials & they have UD = A. This is the 3rd proposed enhancement you should check. Please remember, this check should be the first in sequence before the CONFIRMATION process is started and NOT AFTER the confirmation process started. Also, note that this is again something needs to be done through programmatic enhancement and can't be achieved manually.

e) In case if any of the component HALB material has inspection not NOT created, or it has UD = R, then the production order confirmation process SHOULD NOT START and give an ERROR message with the appropriate description. This description will help the PP Key user to take some actions.

Please note, you have to create FRS (Functional Requirement Specification) with these high level process flow and work together with PP & ABAP team members to achieve these functionalities, in case if you wish to avoid inspection type "02".

Thanks,

Arijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit,

Can we figure out a solution based on standard SAP and not based on an user exit (or any other enhancement) ?

Thanks

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I am not sure if your required functionality can be achieved 100% without any custom enhancements. You can wait for further expert feedback in this forum.

Thanks,

Arijit