cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warehouse Management Restrictions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Regarding to the direct integration between Inventory Management and Warehouse Management, there's lack of restriction in warehouse management module for instance if we received materials from PO in MIGO then a material document will be posted in inventory level and open transfer requirement will be created in warehouse level, then we can transfer the same material or issue it to customer/cost center/ production in Inventory Management level without creating a transfer order for the open transfer requirement and without even a warning or error message appear to the user in Inventory Management level when he do that without completing WM's step.

Another example for data inconsistency between WM and IM, if we allocated material to sales order stock then material document will be posted in IM and an open posting change notice will be created in WM, then we can issue the same material in IM level without the need of completing posting change in WM level and if we issued this material before completing WM step "create TO for open PC" this will lead us to a big problem because materials already issued and it doesn't exist in our system then open posting change can't be closed and it'll be still open.

So Please explain how the two modules are integrated While there're no restrictions for performing WM step before doing further steps in Inventory Management.

Finally how we can restrict or force the user to perform Warehouse Management's steps before going to further Inventory Management's steps. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in response to your first query.

SAP provide option to first perform the goods receipt "first in IM" or "First post in WM", it depend on the business requirement which way you want to use. Please have a look on the below link

Warehouse Management System (WMS) - SAP Library

wrt to second query if you have WM active then SAP recommends to initiate the posting change first in WM for which there are separate transaction code and these transaction code perform the activity in WM and IM together.  Please have a look on the below link

Automatic Posting Changes from the WMS in Inventory Management - Warehouse Management System (WMS) -...

it all depend on the business process and how you want to configure the system, System is flexible enough to use the same activity in multiple ways

Hope this will help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish for your helpful answer,

I already know both solutions but regarding to your answer if we received for example in Inventory Management first then Warehouse Management this solution has drawbacks which I mentioned above so the user will not be forced to do WM's steps. So the second solution not recommended at all if we implemented WM module so I think SAP should recommend that also.

And regarding to second case performing posting change first in WM using LQ02, this can't be forced on specific users because for example who do the allocation of materials to sales orders is sales team not warehouse team so we can not force him to allocate materials from storage bin level not storage location level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding your above mentioned queries, did you think about the practical scenario ?

Its a very rare case, where the warehouse person issues the material against a cost center / order or customer delivery before placing it into the bin. Also you cannot post a delivery without completing the WM steps.

Now, even if the WM steps are not executed, lets take your first example - The goods received will be the 902 Interim Bin with Positive Quant and when you do a issue before processing the open TR  and @ the WM end it will be goods issue from the 911 storage type with a negative quant. So if you check the stocks it will in Sync in both IM and WM and it will be the same even if you process the above 2 TR's.

same is the case with your 2nd question also.

Hope it helps.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please find my reply in bold

if we received for example in Inventory Management first then Warehouse Management this solution has drawbacks ---- I will say this is difference of opinion / perception  system design should be replica of physical process with system control to avoid manual error if i have my business requirement to first post to good into WM then i will design my system accordingly.System should be business enabler and not showstopper by designing in a different way it will stop or delay the process in this case if business says that stock should first available into warehouse before punching the order into system then i will adopt the approach "First in WM and then in IM" so in my opinion it is business / implementation team decision which approach they want to take

second case performing posting change first in WM using LQ02, this can't be forced on specific users - Every warehouse is having a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)  and based on that they operate if your business says that same person has to do the posting change activity and sales order creation activity then it is your business choice and no system can help you on that as this is outside system purview

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it's not very rare case, because if you don't working with deliveries you will issue first from inventory level by MIGO then you will process the open transfer requirement.

Yes regarding to my first example: I didn't mention that Inventory stock and Warehouse stock will be inconsistent, I know there's negative or positive stock in interim storage but the customer always complain from a big issue as I mentioned above who we can transfer the material to another storage location for example without completing WM steps in the receiving location without even a warning message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you will issue first from inventory level by MIGO then you will process the open transfer requirement

As per your above reply what is the issue you are facing ?.As manish mentioned, system should be designed in such a way as per the real business process and warehouse person should be trained to follow the procedure as per the existing flow of business and if the person skips / forget to complete the WM step as mentioned above same can be handled in SAP later without any issues as you may be aware there wont be any impact in the valuation and stock will be in interim bin which can be adjusted later. Hence there is no warning message issued as GR and GI are two separate transactions and there is no link.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ram,

Thanks for your reply but as you mentioned system is flexible enough for any business process but the flexibility is too much, the customer complains how system accept another movement for materials without placing materials first in their storage bins. And didn't issue a warning for informing customer that there're stock in interim storage not cleared yet. and again I'm talking about case 2 receiving in inventory before warehouse customer needs that.

This is infinity loop Ram

Answers (0)