Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data Activation on BW on HANA

Noel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I just wanted to check what really happens in the background with regards to Activation of Master Data when using BW on HANA ?

I have seen some information saying that you no longer need to activate Master Data when using BW on HANA(BOH), but how else do changes to Master data get seen if you don't activate them.

Is locking on Master data an issues when using HANA, when multiple users are trying to update the same Master Data ?

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Noel.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182599
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Noel,

Master data activation is not required if you setup the DTP correctly.  This option has been available since atleast BW 7.31 SP8 or earlier (we started with SP8). You do not need the attribute change run step in your process chains anymore.

By default the checkbox to activate master data in DTP is turned on. If this is disabled then you would have to activate the master data using RSATTR.

I hope this helps

Regards

-Sid

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Noel,

Master data activation is not required in SAP BW7.4. Also below unnecessary steps not required in SAP BW7.4.

Regards

Sudhir Saripalli 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

I have loaded around 1k record to master data object. But i was not activated it. When i was checked in P table only active version record is available no Modified version.

I have loaded data in BW7.4 SP8. Please share any more information regarding this.

Regards

Sudhir Saripalli

shanthi_bhaskar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If i remember my basics correctly at the time of Master Data activation all the SID's gets generated. As SID's still exists in HANA we do need activation procedure.

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

That piece of information seems to be quite new.

If possible, could you please share the document or link where you have seen that.

As of my knowledge, it's important and necessary to activate masterdata/attributes even to enable the latest features like 'Automatic Generation of HANA views'.

BR

Prabhith

Noel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

I assume you are referring to the aspect of no longer needing to activate Master Data. Sorry I meant to update it to say that a customer I am working with has mentioned that they were informed that Master Data activation is not needed anymore and wanted to check if they are getting the right information or not. I am not sure where they received this information.

I am of the same opinion as you that Master Data Activation still needs to be performed and wanted to see if anyone has any information regarding it not being required.

Thanks for your initial reply.

Regards,

Noel.