Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scientific Notation in a table Column in HANA

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All.

We are in the process of creating a prototype for a healthcare customer.

As a part of this, I am trying to load some data from a flat fie provided by the customer.

The flat file has a column named PT_ID which has values like the following:

But when I take it to my table in HANA using ‘Import from Local File’, my table data looks like this:

Could some body help me out with a solution to avoid this Scientific notation (like 3.9729904E7)coming in for the column PT_ID

Am on Revision 92 and the data type of the field PT_ID is NVARCHAR 11 (Proposed by the system and the maximum length seen in the source excel is only 8).

BR

Prabhith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please find the issue and its solution.

Earlier, I was trying to load an .xlsx file and I was getting the Scientific Notations.

EX like below:

Then I Changed the .xlsx to .csv (file --> Save as --> .csv) and loaded again to Hana and it was fine.EX like below:

PS: One more thing that I could realize was that if I change .xlsx to .csv by simply changing the extension and then if load to HANA, I was getting something like below:

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

Closing the thread here..

BR

Prabhith

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

Before start the process, Disable Scientific Notation option in customer file(ie excel). then try.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use the correct data type. With this data type also the value will show up correctly in the reports.

Regards,

Anupama

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Prabhit,

you should know the data type of the PT_ID column. The data type proposal really is for cases where you don't care - at all. It's a best guess approach based on the first couple of lines read from the source file.

You mentioned that this is for a healthcare (ALARM bells... strict regulatory governance...!!) project. So, the data type should be clear up front.

Please correct the data types of your target table and import again.

Be **very** clear about that the import functionality provided with SAP HANA does not provide any data cleansing, correcting or false data handling. The data to be imported must be flawless in that sense.

- Lars