cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

table splitting & Parallel export/import

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

To optimize over all migration time, I am planning to use table splitting using SWPM & parallel export/import using MIGMON.

thing is that I have never used these two options together before.

Can someone who has worked in such scenario provide some details on steps I can follow?

I have few questions around it:

Any special care needs to be taken while using table splitting & parallel export/import together?

how is the data consistency will be handled while import?

table splitting will split the tables in different STR files which will be unloaded parallely, however as soon as a package is exported .SGN file will signal that package for import, if that package is from splitted table, how does it will integrate all the packages for that splitted tables during import?

do we need to worry about it or MIGMON is smart enough to handle it by itself?

source - AIX/DB2 target - linux/DB2.

Best Regards

SB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor

Hello Sachin,

I did system migration with options table split (R3ta) and export/import in parallel (NFS) before.

So far, not so much considerations. (As you know, you should make test migration to find if there is any error during the whole process)

The sequence is Preparation for Table Splitting -> Export Preparation -> Database Instance Export.

Regarding to Export / Import in parallel, once the export structure is created, start sapinst to perform the target system import process. Source system export and target system import can be performed at the same time with migration monitor.

Sure, MIGMON can hand it (and you do not need to start migration monitor manually).

You can also refer to chapter Advanced Migration Technology in TADM70 SAP System: OS and DB Migration.

Regards,

Ning Tong

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ning Tong, Johan, Siddhesh for your valuable inputs.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sachin,

I have used the following (all at once) using migmon on more than one occasion:

Parallel Export/Import using FTP + Package Splitting +Table Splitting

Migmon is a simple to use tool and it works perfectly if you perform the operation as per the heterogenous system copy guide.

Parallel Export/Import:

You literally start both export and import in parallel,but the import cannot continue until you have exchanged the export directory content, so that all information about package and table splitting is exchanged in advance before start of downtime.

Package Splitting:

SWPM has screens to do Package Splits are numbered, so each package has a fixed tables that will be included and the import of package is independent on the target system.

Table Splitting:

SWPM has screens to do tablesplits too, you need to specify a file describing table splits. The table splitter (R3ta)creates .WHR files based on input file provided in SWPM which are numbered and essentially SQL queries (not actual select statements, but when you open them you get the idea) with ranges on key fields.

for eg.

split 1 - Records 1 to Records 10

split 2 - Records 10 to Records 20

So while importing, it uses insert statements to import them independently ensuring that there is no overlap.

Note: its not recommended in fact to host any key directories on NFS share.

I never just got down to write it in a blog, but then each OS/DB migration is different and each has its own challenges.

I encourage you to read the hetergenous copy guide for your combination first and then post questions when (or if ) you are actually stuck.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also worth to look at tables exceeding 2GB or 5GB in size to include these in your split file. You can get this information via DB02 or with SQL query if you have relevant access.

Regards,

Johan