Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odata Service for HR Data

abhradeepbasu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new in Gateway domain and need your guidance.

1. How to check quickly Gateway is installed over my ECC System?

2. I need to populate an Odata service which will fetch data from multiple infotypes, Can you please help from where to start?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ekansh gave the theoretical and the right answer.

If you want to know quicker

try running these two tcodes.

/nSEGW and

/n/IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE.

If both of them work, you are good to start with Gateway.

About starting Gateway Coding, go ahead with the coding approach (not the RFC approach). It might be tough to start with, but will make you an expert. Chandra has written a nice blog.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

abhradeepbasu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you all for supporting my initial query.

My basic understanding is now if there is no RFC/BAPI or any standard BOR available then we need to go for code based implementation. Please correct if I am wrong here.

Secondly, I can see there are mainly two service implementation creating for a particular Entity. One is GetEntity and another one is GetEntitySet. Can you please elaborate on this two service implementation - their meaning, on which circumstances this two will get triggered etc, any relation between this two?

and lastly, I can see Associations within the Model. Can you also please help me to understand this.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhradeep,

Get Entity is a Read operation i.e. it will return only one set of record. But GetEntitySet is a Query operation, it will return multiple records based on the filter criteria. In Read, you have to pass the key properties and you will get one record in response while in Query you may or may not pass filter criteria and you will get multiple records in response.

Associations are relations between entities. For example, if you take a case of PO, there is an association between PO Header and PO Items. This relationship is having common key field PO Number. The common key properties which define the relation are called referential constraint in Gateway.

Regards,

Ekansh    

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Abhradeep Basu wrote:

My basic understanding is now if there is no RFC/BAPI or any standard BOR available then we need to go for code based implementation. Please correct if I am wrong here.

Even if you have standard RFC/BAPI available, it is always better to go with code based approach.

Secondly, I can see there are mainly two service implementation creating for a particular Entity. One is GetEntity and another one is GetEntitySet. Can you please elaborate on this two service implementation - their meaning, on which circumstances this two will get triggered etc, any relation between this two?

Please completely read my blog to understand various operations that can be performed on entity.

and lastly, I can see Associations within the Model. Can you also please help me to understand this.

Check this blog Let's code association/navigation and data prov... | SCN

I will suggest to try out these examples in your system and debug each and every operation to understand it correctly.

In addition to above replies, my 2 cents!

Regards,

Chandra

abhradeepbasu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Thanks a lot!!..

I have gone through your CRUDQ blog and it really helps for beginners like me in Gateway domain.

Now I am trying to implement one sample scenario and facing a situation:

I have created the basic settings and when I am running the Gateway Client and appending $metatda to the base url, I am able to receive a response of HTTP Response 200 but I can not see any EntityName or any property.

Am I doing any mistake?

regards,

former_member184739
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhradeep,

2. I need to populate an Odata service which will fetch data from multiple infotypes, Can you please help from where to start?

You have 2 approaches based on your requirements.

1.Using RFC generators and BOR interfaces

2.Code based implementation.

As a ABAP developer latter method is more preferable and comfortable to work with. Also please note OData supports only Flat structures. Here is a self started guide for you to get started.

SAP Gateway Self-Paced Learning

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/EmTech/SAP+Gateway+Self-Paced+Learning

Example HR ABAP Code and step by step guide:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-55554

Regards

Prabaharan Asokan

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhradeep,

1. How to check quickly Gateway is installed over my ECC System?

You need to check the gateway components in your system. If your Netweaver version is <7.4, the gateway components are GW_CORE, IW_FND & IW_BEP. If its NW7.4, you will have inbuilt component SAP_GWFND. This contains all the above 3 components in a single component.

If you have gateway components, please follow this link to configure it

You can follow various material on this forum to create OData services. One of those is

Regards,

Ekansh