cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Alert Configuration for Error Communication Channel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would just like to ask is there a configuration option needed in Alert Configuration (RWB) to be able to send email alerts when there is a communication channel error  in the Communication Channel monitoring (RWB> Component Monitoring > Adapter Engine)?

I am using SAP PI 7.3

Kindly help.

thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you for all the help. I have solved the problem by adding the Adapter Type and Adapter Error Expressions in the Alert Category.

thanks again!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

engswee
Active Contributor

Hi Chrizel

AFAIK, PI 7.3 still uses the old Alert Framework. As long as you have completed the Alert Configuration, when you create the Alert Rules from RWB, you can set it to the location where the error occurred (IE or AE or both). If you set to AE or both, then you should get an alert for any communication channel related errors.

Refer following document. Step 12 on Page 14 has a screenshot on the AE/IE rules part.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Thank you for your fast response.

I tried the Alert Rule set to AE and it only sends me an email alert when a message has failed in AE. Is there a way that the email alert will send because the communication channel encountered an error?

thanks again!

Regards,

Chrizel

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chrizel

That's weird. I'm on a higher PO version now which is using CBMA, so I can't test this out. I remember clearly when working on a PI 7.11 dual stack system that I do get alerts for any non-message errors occurring on the communication channel, i.e. if the FTP channel fails to connect to the FTP server. As a matter of fact, we get tonnes of that all the time and it was really frustrating because it floods our mailboxes.

Can you try setting the rule to Unrestricted? Can you also make sure that the setting to "suppress multiple alerts" is Unchecked, and also that you have cleared off all existing alerts in your inbox. Then retry with a new error.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

I am using PI 7.3 Single Stack - Java. Is there an effect?

I already tried the 'No Restriction' setting and the 'Suppress Multiple Alerts' unchecked. i restarted the communication channel with error and still didnt get a email alert regarding the comm channel error. But when i resent the message with an error, an email alert was sent to me.

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chizel,

If you are single stack java system then old alert frame work does not work, configure CBMA as mention below blog.

Regards,

Praveen.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This comment on the blog says that is it only available from PI 7.31 onwards. Don't have a PI 7.3 system to verify it though.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chrizel

To be honest, I'm not really sure how it behaves on PI 7.3. Can you try creating a sender FTP channel to try to connect to a non-existent FTP server or with an incorrect user?

What type of communication channel error are you trying to get an alert for? Can you provide more details of the error?

Rgds

Eng Swee

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Eng you are right.

@Chrizel check the Michal comment on the blog for PI 7.3.

>>>>with PI 7.3 you can have a single stack and no alert framework... unless you use another ABAP stack (like Solman).
Regards,
Praveen.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

I'm trying to get the the error for the JMS communication channels. Please see below image:

These are the error encountered after Comm Channel restart and i want to send an alert regarding this error.

Moreover, i am also encountering some issue because i am not receiving any email in my personal mail. the email alerts are only present in the RWB Alert Inbox. i have added my personal email in the SU01 address tab profile.

thank you!

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edit: Added screenshot of additionally info that for whatever reason went into moderation.

Hi Chrizel

I'm a little bit confused. You are on PI 7.3 single stack, but you mentioned SU01 which is only available on ABAP. Are you using the Alert Framework on SolMan or some other ABAP system? If yes, can you check if the emails are listed in transaction SOST on the ABAP system?

Also, did you managed to try out on a different adapter (i.e. FTP) like I mentioned above. Just trying to rule out if the alert is not working for all adapters or just JMS.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Message was edited by: Eng Swee Yeoh

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some additional stuff:

In your ABAP system, try running the following two programs

1) SXMSALERT_LOGREADER - to view the log of the alerts

2) RSALERTTEST - to test the alert category

Also, SAP Note 913858 is a useful document for troubleshooting alert related issue. Try going through the document to see if any of the info is relevant to your case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Sorry for the confusion.

I just mentioned that we're using single stack - java because we only monitor PI messages via RWB. we can access SXI_MONITOR however the messages cannot be viewed from there only in RWB.

1. I am currently trying the FTP adapter error. will check if it will work for other adapters.

2. Regarding the email, i have configured in ‘ALRTCATDEF’ and in RWB. it works fine in Alert Inbox however i am not receiving any emails in my personal mail. my user type in SU01 is Dialog User.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. That makes sense now

For (2), try checking if the emails are generated/queued up in SOST. Might be possible that the SAPconnect setup is not completed in your system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chrizel Legaspi,

Please check the user that you specified in "Fixed Recipients" in TCODE ALRTCATDEF.

You have to configure the email of this user in SU01 too.

Follow my ALRTCATDEF configurations

Thank you,

Bruno Massaro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

1. i tried using a SOAP Adapter Type for the communication channel and still didnt received any email alert regarding it unless there is a failed message in AE.

2. i am successfully receiving the email alert in my personal email/Outlook but ONLY test email from RSALERTTEST. when i encountered a failed message in AE, i only receive it in the Alert Inbox not in my Outlook.

Did i miss anything?

thanks!

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chrizel

1. I'm not really sure about this. Can you please try FTP as I mentioned above? I know for sure that we used to get FTP alerts for non-message errors. I just want to rule out if the issue is specific to JMS/SOAP or across the board.

2. Did you check SOST? Did you find any emails there that were not sent out? RSALERTTEST might do an immediate email send, whilst the normal alerts are set to queue.

Try also running program RSCONN01 to see if it flushes the emails out or not.

Rgds

Eng Swee

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you provide a screenshot of how your Alert Rule setup in RWB is like?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

for number 2, yes i checked SOST and no error was displayed regarding the alert message or any stuck message.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you provide a screenshot of how SOST looks like on your system? Please change the dates on Period tab so that it includes dates which you have corresponding alerts on RWB Alert Inbox.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Please see attached:

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chrizel

Your setting seems fine, and the "Connected to Message" is set to "Not Relevant" so it should generate alerts for non message errors.

You mentioned that you also have tried "No Restrictions" and it does not have any work too. To be honest, I'm out of ideas.

Regarding the sending of email, make sure that you have configured SAPConnect - Steps 8 - 10 of the Alert Configuration guide document that I listed in my first reply.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

I noticed that when i used a different user to trigger the RSALERTTEST, I don't receive it in outlook but its in Alert Inbox.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you go through the configuration guide and make sure all the steps there are configured in your system?