cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection Plans - Running out of Group Counter Numbers for Inspection Plans

Former Member
0 Kudos

Team

Our business scenrio is such , we are in need of creating inspection plans frequently , which is resulting in we running out of group counter number range for inspection plans as they are only two digits.

We have already used up 99 and now we are into alphanumeric, such as A1, A2 etc. (Example shows L8 being used for group counter)

Question : Is there a way to increase the number range from 2 to 3 or more digits. ?? , if not what is the other option, will "Data Archiving of the counters which are no longer needed free up numbers to be reused ??

Really Appreciate your response. Cheers. Nithi A

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nidhi,

If you keep increasing inspection GrC for one Group only, then you can get max 360 values (100+260) per group. Now for example, if some old group counters are no more usable, then you can do data archiving, but in that case the free counters range will be small and you have to again look for further options in near-future..!!

The best approach here is to use the potential of 8 digit inspection number in combination with GrC (360 numbers) so that you get a wide range of combinations active. Note that these 8 digits can accommodate a combination which is numeric, alphabetical, or alfa-numeric and hence the effective inspection plans can be huge before the complete list gets exhausted.

Please note that there is no other way to extend 2 digit GrC to 3 digit GrC as per standard SAP. Once all the combinations said above is exhausted, then you can plan for archiving the non-usable inspection plan/GrC.

Thanks,

Arijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Arijit

I really appreciate you getting back to me . You are right with the data archiving part ,i will soon end up with the same issue in the near future.

Can you please elaborate on the 8 digit inspection number approach and how i can do that.

Thanks
Nithi A

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nithi,

Inspection plan or group has 8 digit spaces, which can be populated by numbers, or digits or a combination of both. So the effective combination generates a huge range. On top of that each such inspection group will have 360 more GrC's which will further extend the unique combination.

Please let me know if you need any further inputs.

Thanks,

Arijit