cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy with SWPM (same size required (Target=Source)?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I've done a system copy with SWPM (ASE from Live to Test-System).

There it seems to be required to have the same device-size available in Target System like in Source system.

I mean for used space it would be clear for me.

However, also the devices (not used) have to be that big and also the log-files.

But as I don't have that many users in test-system like in live, I will not get a lot of transaction log.
Therefore my question, is there really no way to make the SWPM-System copy without using exactly the same size?

I've already created this discussion for shrinking.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Obviously the DB size allocation has to be the same as source. however other mount points we can plan as per the requirement if we are doing via SWPM.

Especially transaction log/archive log can be sized as per the requirement even you can switch off the archive in test.

Regards,

Raja. G

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello to everybody,

however, as the second discussion is solved now (shrink of data devices and log devices), I have a solution/workaround which is ok for me.

So I will provide enough space durring the setup.

I will split it in general into two parts (devices which will stay and create separate devices which I would like to remove after the copy).

So it is easy to remove them after the copy.

Thx to everybody!!!

See link

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

It would be good if you could take some time out to write a nice blog on your experiences, so that the community may benefit.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I try to find some time for this

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

Could you check this SCN thread

BR

SS

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

It seems you've come up with a solution, but I was going to suggest that you could reduce size of target devices, especially for instance the transaction log, if you use the database-independent (R3load-based) migration option instead of the database-dependent (backup/restore or detach/attach) method. This requires downtime on the source system for the export, unfortunately, but it also allows you to reconfigure the database-to-disk layout on the target system import.

Cheers,

Matt

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

Interesting question, Sybase ASE is new to me, but from what I have read about recently, it sounds similar to MSSQL Server

I'll watch this thread to see if anyone comes up with this option.. Also will keep looking for details on SWPM.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

During the system copy using the SWPM,in both places (Source & target systems)DB & SAP usr disk space should be same, other resources (like memory & CPU) kept it minimal requirement in the target system.

In target system all background jobs are running, it will generate transaction log, you may require to performing the DB maintenance activity

Regards

SS