Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on Inspection at Dispatch

former_member193808
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

The industry I'm referring to is bulk industry, where FG is batch managed. The dispatches will happen in ships and sometimes the delivery will have batch split, sometimes not (single batch) against delivery line item.

Even if the stock is batch managed, physically, at the time of dispatch, the stock is combined and dispatched as a whole.

So, the QM needs only single lot whether batch split is there or not (Result is for the whole dispatch and not for individual batches).

I have activated inspection 10, created plan etc.

1. When I set controlInspLot for One material item, then inspection lot gets created properly if there's no batch split. In case of batch split, multiple lots are getting created, but RR is not possible. System gives error as setting is at material (line item) level but lot is at batch split.

2. When i set controlinsplot for Batch split, then system creates multiple inspection lot for batch split, which is undesirable to business.

How do I tackle this? I need only one lot, regardless of batch split is there or not.Is this possible?

Thanks

Prem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically, you should be combing the batches into a single shipment batch.

I've worked on that exact requirement for chemcial bulk shipped by rail and/or ship.  Usually if by ship, you are combing the material in the ship's hold.  It's lost it's ability to be considered as individual batches.

Once batches are selected, combine them into one batch using standard MM transactions.  Then assign the one SHIP batch to the order.  Your batch where-used list can always provide traceability to the individal batches used to create the shipment batch.

Another option is to use the Sales Order to create a production order.  Consume the split batches against the production order.  Receipt in the final single batch agaisnt the production order. No QM.

Now do any testing againt the inspection type 10 lot created by the order.

Craig

former_member193808
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Craig,

It is not possible for us to merge the batches, considering profitability issue - either MM or production order.

Ideally the batches are clubbed while loading to ship. But, each batch has separate cost (landing cost including demurrage+production cost). Our valuation is batch specific and CO-PA needs profitability based on batches. If we combine and create a new batch, the valuation will get averaged out, right?

If we go with batch split option, individual lots will get created for each batch. As the results are single, QM guy will enter in any lot (preferably first lot). When he make UD for that lot, if we trigger a BDC to populate and close the other lots, do you foresee any challenge? This is also a work around, but will this create any adverse effect?

Thanks

Prem

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So are you actally using split valuation?

Otherwise what is your cost calculated by?

Craig

former_member193808
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Craig,

Agree with your point. I'm just trying to avoid combining batches.

In Inspection 10, if I use the Control Inspection lot for each main item (1st option), I will always have only 1 inspection lot, correct?

I have tried the below 2 scenarios:

1. If there's no batch split, it works fine. There is single batch in delivery.

2. In case of batch split, the lot will still be only one. When I go to RR, system will give an error "Partial lot 100..XX 000000 does not exit". This is because lot is referring to delivery line item and not batch split lines. If i enter 1 as partial lot(1st batch of batch split), system will allow to do RR. Then make UD and lot is completed. User do not have to make RR for each batch (only partial lot 1 is filled). After this, delivery allows to do PGI.

So, can i use this solution? Or does this have any impact ?

Thanks

Prem

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't say for sure but if it's working for you then I guess it works!  I thnk the issue is what happens next?  Do you an issue a COA?  Do the batches needed to be listed on the COA?  With individual results?  If COA is not required, (or is done offline manually), and all you need is the type 10 lot to serve as a final check, than I don't see a problem with what you tested.

On a side note: I know you are trying to avoid combining the batches because I'm sure that might save the customer some work.  But it might be a short-sighted thing and as consultants, we sometmes have to tell customers things they might not like to hear.  Like "Hey.. yes.. it might be some more work, but it is the right way to do it."   Is it truly an issue of they have a real business reason not to do this or is it just because they don't want to do this?   Sometimes, people in Quality Control have to force procedures that might not be popular.

In this case, maybe a custom transaction that could do a lot of the work for them might make things easier.  I.e. just a screen that asks for the material number and the batches to combine along with maybe delivery or order number.  Not cluttered, easy to read, etc... press a button and all the batches are combined in the background, delivery created, new batch assigned, paperwork printed...etc...i.e. a One-step Ship Shipping Transaction.

Craig

former_member193808
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Craig,

The COA will be Z. The client has particular format for that.

On combining the batches - yes, i am looking for the easy solution. If we decide to create a new batch, there are lot of guys to get convinced - client, ABAP, BI and FI-CO. They do not want to take one extra step to track the original batch info if there's any single option available.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. I will keep the current settings and see if all works !

Thanks

Prem

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

Please note that your control inspection lot setup for inspection type 10 is working as expected, without any issues. Please can you try the below setup -

I think, this will create only one inspection per delivery.

Please can you double check and confirm, by changing it in material master - QM view.

Thanks,

Arijit

former_member193808
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Arjit,

I am using the same setting, but as mentioned, this will give error while trying to do RR, in case of batch split.

Then choose any one of the lot (based on batch) and enter the result. Skip other lots and do UD.

Can't use standard COA and create a Z.

This cannot be treated as right way, but it will solve the purpose.

Thanks

Prem