Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning Directions

former_member406212
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need help in understanding below 2 scheduling concepts. I have italicised & underlined my questions, please share your inputs with business example for better understanding.

Planning Direction Forward with Reverse:

If you select this option, the system first searches in the future for a scheduling date. If it does not find a scheduling date in this direction, it searches in the past.

In what business needs this situation may arise? That system will look in future & still not find scheduling date?

Planning Direction Backward with Reverse:

If you choose this option, the system searches in the past for a scheduling date. If it does not find a scheduling date in this direction, it searches in the future.

Does this mean that If order is being created with next week as start date & since scheduling/capacity is available this week so the system will schedule this order to start this week?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaiz,

I will give you my opinion.

Long term planning: SNP, CTM

Planning Direction Forward with Reverse: this strategy is used if late delivery is accepted. In this case the stock will be minimal. No needed to have in advance a lot of stock. 

Planning Direction Backward with Reverse: this strategy is used for in time delivery (no late delivery accepted). In this case the stock will be more important. You build stock in advance. 

Short term planning; PPDS

Planning Direction Forward with Reverse: you use this strategy to plan in advance from today in the future without any gaps between orders. 

Planning Direction Backward with Reverse: you use this strategy to plan lately possible.   

In my opinion the order will start next week!

But don't forget! The simulation is the best way to take a decision!

Thanks,

Regards, Marius

former_member406212
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Marius.