Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Installation - system copy.

former_member312761
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I would like to ask you about one thing, I try to prepare SAP Homogenous system copy with new SID based on Linux SUSE/Oracle 11 and I have a one question. I do it by SAP software Provisioning Manager, system copy etc.

During the installation one of steps is – stop installation by SAP Provisioning Manager and Oracle database installation by script. /RUNINSTALLER.

When I do this one of the elements is type of Oracle installation:

• Create and Configure database
  • Install database Software only
  • Upgrade an existing database

I chose “Install database Software only” because I would like to restore database from my backup files, but if I will chose this, after Oracle installation I cannot connect to the Oracle via SQLPlus – this tool not working. Where is the problem, perhaps shall I chose “Create and Configure database” ? Or something should be done after “Install database software only”.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Tomasz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member312761
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks, I've installed Oracle "Install database software Only" and I’m stuck on the restore database from file (cold backup). So far:

1. I’ve copied directories and files /sapdata1/ and /sapdata2/ to the new Oracle directory /oracle/SID/11203

2. I’ve created PFILE via SQLPlus

-create pfile from SPFILE;

3. I’ve copied initOLD_SID.ora to the /oracle/102_64/

And I can’t start database:

SQL> startup nomount;

ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS instance

ORA-48108: invalid value given for the diagnostic_dest init.ora parameter

ORA-48140: the specified ADR Base directory does not exist [/oracle/SID/saptrace]

ORA-48187: specified directory does not exist

Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Additional information: 1

I can’t use command – show parameter spfile etc.

What is wrong, where I did error, what shall I do ? How can I restore database ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Tomasz

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

As the error suggested you need to check for invalid value given for the diagnostic_dest under init.ora parameter (Check for the correct path for the parameter & provide ) ,Second is to check for saptrace directory at OS level i.e /oracle/SID/saptrace.

Try to check for these two things & check again.

Regards,

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

login at OS level as orasid

use this command:

mkdir /oracle/SID/saptrace

good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> ORA-48108: invalid value given for the diagnostic_dest init.ora parameter

Check the parameter is pointing to correct path in pfile.

>> ORA-48140: the specified ADR Base directory does not exist [/oracle/SID/saptrace]

Create a new directory and set 755 permissions for oraSID.

regards,

pavan

0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz.

SWPM created the database for you in a later stage in some phase. Installing the Oracle RDBMS software is a prerequisite that still has to be done by the administrator.

Regards,

János

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

Hope you've already got your answer from above experts,

I chose “Install database Software only” because I would like to restore database from my backup files

Here you just need to opt install database software only,as you required to restore this database from the backup of other system (Homogeneous System copy). In simple you just need the structure only  not the material in it.

So just opt install DB software only & proceed .

Hope this will also help you.

Good luck !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tomasz,

You'll select "Install DB Software only" option from radiobuttons. You don't need to be able to connect your DB, after installation; since you won't have your target DB restore done yet.

Please see the screenshot, which is taken from my 11G system copy notes:

Best regards,

Serhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You just need to install the DB software, at Install DB software phase. All the other things(like user creation & setting ENV variables) will be taken care by SWPM itself.

It will again prompt you to perform restore(with oraSID) at Backup-Restore database phase. This is where you will have to restore the DB using BRTools with oraSID user.

The same has been described in the below link.

regards,

pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tomasz,

This steps only installs the DB software. Your environment will be setup later. This probably explains why you can run sqlplus.

You will see this if you logon as the orasid user and run "env | grep ORA"

If you intend to stop with SWPM only at this step then you will have to copy and adjust the .[c]sh files as well as create the necessary target system directory structure (SAP + Oracle).

KR,

Amerjit