cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM 5.5 to MDM 7.1 Upgrade Impact

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am a portal consultant and new to SAP MDM. As MDM 5.5 is absolute we may need to upgrade MDM 5.5 to MDM 7.1

In our Landscape we are using MDM 5.5 and it is connected to Portal 7.0.  Please find the current Portal and MDM flow which we are using as mentioned below. Please let me know the impact of upgrade and please let me know what changes need to be done from portal side after MDM upgrade 7.1

Current Scenario:

1) We have stagging repository and actual repository in MDM. Daily we are getting records from BODS in an Xml format and sending it to stagging.

2) After records are sending it to stagging an application is validating checks for each record using an JAVA application which was developed using MDM JAVA API. The records which are matching the condition of checks those will be sent to actual repository which is end data.

3) We have created Portal iview of MDM Stagging repository which is showing the stagging repository there user can correct the error in the data then he/she can again click on release then again Check will be called with the help of that JAVA Application built on MDM Java API. if no errors are there all the fields will change from red to green then he can click on realease this will move the data to Actual Repository of MDM.

Note: Apart from this import Portal iview there are so many other portal iview which are created and all are having system object of MDM.

So Please let me know the impact of Upgrade. Anybody having idea on how those portal iviews are created in portal. Please provide me any sample tutorials.

So After upgrade does the custom JAVA Application which we devloed will work or not. If not what needs to be done.

Whether all the existing MDM portal iviews will work or not. If not what needs to be done.

Please guide me on this upgrade to proceed further as MDM is new to me.

Thanks,

Mahesh Nuli.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

As Carlos pointed out, please refer to the Upgrade Guide. Based on the description you gave a few items really need your attention for sure:

1) Since you're upgrading MDM to 71, you should at least also check if your Portal-version (you mention 70) is still supported.

2) Your import-maps and Syndication-maps will require special attention. After the upgrade from 55 to 71, your import/syndication-maps might require manual updates (they will be marked when you check your maps)

3) The API has changed drastically from 55 to 71. Therefore it is doubtful if your custom-built applications will still work.

4) 71 still offers standard MDM iViews. It is however recommended to move to MDM WD Components.

5) Once more, check the upgrade guide. The items above focus on API only. Since 71, MDM also supports Tuples (it is recommended to use tuples instead of qualified tables, expecially when setting up anew), multiple main tables, etc.

Hope this helps you a little bit further.

KR,

Gerwin

cweissheimer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The Upgrade Guide on help.sap.com/nwmdm71 should help you on all the steps of the upgrade, including the Java API applications and Portal Content.

Best Regards,

Carlos Weissheimer