Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Oracle 12

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have seen, that SAP, just as promised, has released today Oracle 12.

I would like to perform the first test upgrade as soon as possible. But I

did not find any notes or documentation released by SAP. Is any of you

able to provide some upgrade procedure ? Or it does not differ much

from the procedure for upgrade to Oracle 11 ? For example, SAP note:

1949451 - Oracle 11.2.0: Database Upgrade To Release 11.2.0.4 on Unix (Quick Reference)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon,

SAP Service Marketplace -> Products -> Installation & Upgrade Guides -> Database Upgrades -> Oracle

Upgrade to Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1): Windows

Upgrade to Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1): UNIX

Regards,

Ning Tong

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Ning!

this was quite hard to find in the "fabulous new" portal...

Especially bearing in mind, that Products was not listed when I opened it, so

even WITH your cool explanation it was quite hard to find it...

Many thanks!!!

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon,

I upload the screenshot:

Switch to new portal

Go down

Regards,

Ning Tong

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Pfff, yep, this is how I found it after reading your post! Though the thing is, that service.sap.com will soon disappear... And from the new support.sap.com, I kept clicking and looking and I did not find a way to get to your second screenshot from the "new portal". Seems like this part is hidden... 🙂

Or I need more training in single and double-clicking 😄

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon,

I struggle to find those documents in new support portal, but failed. Sorry about that.

Maybe I will take some time to be familar with that new one.

Regards,

Ning Tong

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member207186
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also refer to SAP on Oracle Development Update for more information.

Regards,
Bíborka

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

going back to this thread, after a nice vacation, just to report, that I successfully upgraded a test system to 12c BEFORE that cool vacation 😉

I only had one issue during the upgrade - collecting statistics doesn't work when using SSFS:

Another thing that I am curious about - when scheduling the DBA jobs in DB13 - how will the SAP system execute them - using SSFS or OPS$ ? Did anyone have time to play with that ?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon,

I suggest you to wait for sometime as things are not yet in shape to move to 12c.

The software is available for download at https://service.sap.com/oracle

The upgrade guides are available at http://service.sap.com/instguides - Database Upgrades

The SAP note 2133079 - Oracle database 12c: Integration in SAP environment contains the details but I see the note is in "not released status".

As part of the upgrade you will need to migrate the Oracle owner from ora<SID> to Oracle user. Migration is done using a tool provided by SAP available in the SAP note 1915317, but the note is in "not released status".

Looking forward to hear from you about how the upgrade went.

Good Luck

RB

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes Reagan, the update from the DB team is that this note will be released shortly..

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

thanks for your valuable info! I will do the upgrade in a test system quite soon. I will make a document and share it with you.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

the oracle user / owner step is not mandatory as i understand the upgrade guide on page 30 ("Adapting the Environment of the ora<dbsid> User").

If you still use the ora<dbsid> user, you need to make sure that the changes you made to the Oracle user environment are permanently stored in the profiles .cshrc, .dbenv_<hostname>.csh, .dbenv_<hostname>.sh, dbenv.sh, and .dbenv.csh.

However it is a good idea to change it anyway

The most interesting part SAPnote #1888485 ("Database Parameters for 12.1.0.2") is not released yet, so the upgrade guide itself is not very useful. I am pretty snoopy, if SAP makes use of some "new" core features of Oracle now or if they still limit the CBO to pre Oracle 9i times.

We just need to be a little bit patient as 31st of March is still on-going

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hi,

the note will be released soon (it is being "double checked" now)

but I'm quite sure none of those nice features you are looking for will be used

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

>> but I'm quite sure none of those nice features you are looking for will be used

Really? Still no ECS & ACS and bind peeking? No Adaptive Execution Plans? No SQL Plan Directives? No new dynamic sampling (persistent dynamic sampling results)?

I mean the last time i discussed the ECS / ACS stuff with SAP dev, it was because of a client issue, but we are in 2015 and with 12c now

Come on guys be brave ... we need better things than the hard coded CBO defaults at least with In-Memory option and the new IM transformations / features

Maybe we can discuss this privately, but i really would be interested into the reasons for a better understanding.

Regards

Stefan

P.S.: SAPnote #1888485 ("Database Parameter for 12.1.0.2") is out right now.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like also to see some of those "nice" things I have only "heard/read" about.
In this case I do not know who took the decision, if SAP or Oracle (I think it is more Oracle than us, but not sure).

IM will come next Quarter, perhaps they wait for it to change things.

Now that it is released I can ask them to see their opinion. I know at least one of the developers that wanted all that "stuff"

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel (as SAPs RAC guru may can light this up a bit),

looks like that even "Policy-managed RAC databases" are not supported with 12c yet (e.g. SAP & Oracle New Features in Software Provisioning Manager - slide 32). SAPnote #527843 still mentions that no kind of load balancing is supported - so it seems to be true

I gonna stop here now for today - too much frustration due to expected stuff, but not available

Regards

Stefan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

thank you.

>> I know at least one of the developers that wanted all that "stuff"

I hope some of the kernel / DBSL developers. I also know more than one customer who would like to see / benefit from it. Just look at transactions like MFPP1 and the generated SQLs by selection screen

By the way what about the new histogram types with 12c? Can not find any information / limitation or implementation about that in SMP?

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not guru, I think there are too many things I do not know to be called such a thing, I leave that for Tom Kyte, Cary Millsap, Tanel Poder and others.

I need to check all the things we will support. Until now all answers I got to my earlier questions were "we still do not know what will be supported"
This is an "initial" release and not many new features are supported (do not know about the new histograms)

I assume the same about "Policiy-managed RAC databases", but the documentation was not available when I check.

The user "oracle" is mandatory (oracle is pushing for their way of installing things), check the note 1915317, it is clearly stated there.

I will have to check a lot of notes (after Easter/may) and documentation to see what can and cannot be done.
I cannot answer the whys, a lot of times is a discussion at levels higher than me and the information is not shared, sorry. Nevertheless I ask and some times I get answers.
In the SCN there was a wiki, I do not know if in SCN has one, but one could be created with "questions" and "wishes" and I could try to find information about it.

Keep in mind that what SAP wants is to have "stable runtime", always "bad" or always "good". If it is bad it can be tuned

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

thank you for your reply.

>> This is an "initial" release and not many new features are supported (do not know about the new histograms)

Of course, but such features like the CBO core functionalities were never re-introduced in the following feature release cycles. It is just my 10-years experience with SAP and Oracle . I think it is also much easier to test and certify such core functions with the initial cert tests as the time line is not that short.

>> The user "oracle" is mandatory (oracle is pushing for their way of installing things), check the note 1915317, it is clearly stated there.

Thanks for clarification. This SAPnote was not released as i read through the upgrade guide the first time. However i am little bit confused about that SAPnote statement ("Starting Oracle Database 12c, Oracle Database software on Unix and Linux platforms must be installed as software owner 'oracle'.") as the official Oracle documentation (point "5.1.5.11 Creating an Oracle Software Owner User") states something different. Maybe this statement is relevant for Oracle databases in SAP environments only, but not in general . The SAP upgrade guide does also not mention a shared ORACLE_HOME, which then makes sense with only one user called "oracle".

>> I will have to check a lot of notes (after Easter/may) and documentation to see what can and cannot be done.

Great. It would be awesome, if you can cross-check some of the announced features like "Policy-managed RAC databases" with the currently supported "SAP/Oracle 12c" matrix or maybe the corresponding SAPnotes can be extended with the relevant information in the meantime. The "Why's" are not that important to the majority (but we may can discuss these internals privately), it is more important to know if it is supported yet or if it gonna be supported in the next cycles.

>> Keep in mind that what SAP wants is to have "stable runtime", always "bad" or always "good". If it is bad it can be tuned

I am totally with you, but in case of a large data skew in OLTP (e.g. different warehouses or customer data) it is mostly not possible to tune with hard coded stuff (it is good for one warehouse data, but bad for the other). Some of the mentioned CBO features were introduced to address such issues - so why not using them

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Stefan

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Guys, I have started the topic with a simple question, but now I REALLY ENJOY reading you discussing all the features so deeply !! Keep it going, I can't get enough 🙂

0 Kudos

Thanks,

I'm going on holidays, but when back I will create or a document or a "blog" (lets see how it works) trying to clarify all this and to get more questions or request or ... from you.

Pure egoism, that way I will know what to learn about 12c

That way we can leave this thread as we are going a bit off topic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Reagan,

The note is released.

Cheers,

A.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Hope you are doing good.

Nice to hear from you again.

The main SAP note that deals with SAP product dependencies is the below one:

2133079 - Oracle Database 12c: Integration in SAP environment

Most important information from note above:

From April 2015 on SAP note 1914631 will provide important technical information about using Oracle 12.1 in the SAP environment.

As of now the following SAP products are planned to be supported with Oracle Database 12.1.0.2:

- SAP NetWeaver 7.0/7.1/7.3/7.40/7.50

- SAP BW 7.0/7.01/7.02/7.10/7.11/7.20/7.30/7.31/7.40/7.50

- SAP ERP 6.0

- SAP CRM 7.0

- SAP SCM 7.0

- SAP SRM 7.0

- SAP Solution Manager 7.1/7.2

- Banking Services from SAP 6.0/7.0/8.0/9.0

- SAP NW CE 7.1

- SAP NW PI 7.1

To find out which SAP product versions are released for Oracle 12.1, see the SAP Product Availability Matrix (PAM). This is available at:

<www.service.sap.com/PAM>

Hope this helps.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kind Regards,

Hemanth
SAP AGS
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _