cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSDB - downward compatibility of R3* tools for 701 release ?

0 Kudos

Hello,

We are doing POC for OS migration ( HP-UX to Linux )  using SWPM. Source system is ECC 6.0 EHP4 running on 701 kernel. I see R3* tools and kernel are not supported any more by SAP for 701 release ( Last updated in 2012 ).The question is, Does R3* tools are downward compatible with respect to kernel release ? If yes ,

1)How do I need to make use of latest R3load/R3ldctl/R3ta/libdbsl* tools that shipped along with SL tool set without upgrading the current kernel to 720/721 and

2) If I copy the R3* tools shipped from SWPM to exe folder without libdbsl. Does this work ?

2) Does libdbsl will be used while R3* tools connects to DB to generate STR files and export dump ?

Thanks,

Hari B

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I see R3* tools and kernel are not supported any more by SAP for 701 release ( Last updated in 2012 ).

Here i strongly suggest you to perform kernel upgrade from 701 to 720 by following SAP Note    1629598 - SAP Kernel 720 will replace older kernel versions,before migrations as SAP suggested

You can continue using your current kernel after that date, but if an issue occurs with your current kernel, a fix will only be provided for the SAP kernel 720.

As per me answer of all your questions

1)How do I need to make use of latest R3load/R3ldctl/R3ta/libdbsl* tools that shipped along with SL tool set without upgrading the current kernel to 720/721 and

2) If I copy the R3* tools shipped from SWPM to exe folder without libdbsl. Does this work ?

3) Does libdbsl will be used while R3* tools connects to DB to generate STR files and export dump ?

is first to upgrade kernel to avoid any issues during migrations,copy paste of kernel files from SWPM to exe will cause you failures during the process.So i suggest you try to upgrade kernel first.

Hope you'll agree here .

Good luck !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hari

SAP recommends to get the latest R3* tools before you start the migration. You said this is a POC  - So any reason why you cannot perform the kernel upgrade?

All kernel files >= 720 are now downward compatible

To answer your questions:

1: You copy the latest R3* files to you exe directory

2: This depends on how far behind are you on your kernel patch

3: Yes, DBSL patch contains the libraries/drivers for different database manufacturers and are used to generate the required migration files

Regards,

Arun