cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESA vs SOA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anybody explain what is the major difference betweent ESA and SOA.

Do the needful..

Cheers.,

Xeon

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ESA = ES + SOA

you can refer to my reply in the following link.

Regards

Pushkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sageon,

ESA (now called Enterprise SOA) is SAP view on the SOA concept. There is an extensive section here in SDN on the topic. ESA is the style or a methodology to build applications which reflects SAP's 30 years of experience and latest IT advancements such as webservices. ESA helps you in building Flexible applications which can adopt the changes whenever occured in the market. ESA is SAP's new vision and we can realize this using Netweaver.

SOA is not about what technology you are using to connect. Its about whether your business processes have been exposed as services for other applications / processes to access. You can use XI as well to access these services.

For more information:

In simple terms, ESA envisages exposing some of the processes (for example, creation of a Sales Order) as services, and since the web is one of the commonly used media, Web Services will be the preferred service 'type'.

These processes can be from a single SAP component (as is the case in the example that I have given) or can derive from one or more components. Just to take another example, if a customer or an ISV wants to create their own compensation-related processes based on what’s available in SAP HR and FI, then ESA, through the NetWeaver platform, will enable them to cull data/processes (which will be available as services) from HR & FI, so that they can put together the custom processes (this is foundation for xApps). So if multiple components/systems are involved, XI may have a role to play (but may not be a necessity).

Please let me know if you hve any queries...!

Thanks and Regards,

Chandu.

Message was edited by:

Chandu

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also do refer this forum thread -

Note that SDN even has a forum on ESA and SOA. You can post further queries there to get optimum answers -

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check <a href="/people/benny.schaich-lebek/blog/2004/12/02/finally-the-penny-dropped-regarding-esasoa the Penny Dropped Regarding ESA/SOA...</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi XI gurus,

Can you please guide me??

Cheers.,

Xeon

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SOA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service-oriented_architecture &

ESA - /people/kevin.liu/blog/2005/10/17/esa-soa-es