cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial SERC Load with OCC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I hope that everyone is fine and healthy.  I am stuck with SAP EH&S problem and as SAP EHS consultant, I was hoping that we can share knowledge. . I was hoping that one of you guys can help me. I want to upload substance with open content connector for SERC database with XML file but I am not able to get the initial load from XML file in to SAP.  I have already created RFC and I can call OCC from CG02 via data determination but I cannot upload substances from XML file via OCC to SAP. Has anyone got experience with initial SERC  database  via OCC ?

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

With kind regards,

Maywand

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Maywand,

when you start the load, do you get any error message or other system resposnse? If so, what response is it?

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,
I don't get any error. I haven't found any option know how to load XML file in OCC and then load it to SAP. What should I do to load a new substance from OCC to EH&S.  Do you have to load first the listed sub with .dat file via cg33 and then update it via OCC or can you also do an initial load with OCC?

thanks in advanced!

Maywand

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hiu Maywand,

you can do an initial load, but the LIST_SUB must have a CAS number as identifier maintained to permit the OCC an identification of the substance.

Likewise if you load data to a LS_UN_SUB, it must have a UN number maintained as identifier.

Without these, the OCC doesn't know what to load.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Maywand

it is not "clear" how you have prepare the OCC and XML file to be used in upload.

To use OCC you need to prepare "mappings" etc. Starting from hit list you can do as mentioned by Ralph initlal upload and delta upload.

Do you get a "screen" showing the spec (some core data like identifier) and the data you would like to upload? Which "preparation" steps to use OCC has been done? (check OCC documentation on your local file for proper set up of OCC and check the OSS note mentioned in SAP online help etc. etc.)

May be thiscould be of interest:

As shown in second document: there are not more that 20 thread regarding OCC. Seems to be that this tool is either not used or that no issue come up in use.

C.B.

PS: aas mentioned in Import of Data - Specification Management (EHS-BD-SPE) - SAP Library

There are two options to use OCC. One in dialog modus (online) and second offline modus. I assume you would like to use first mode?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thank you again for replying:

You have mentioned the following but the

LIST_SUB must have a CAS number as identifier maintained to permit the OCC an identification of the substance.

But if the LISTED_SUB is not yet there in CG02 how do you load the new LISTED_SUB that is there in XML file. The situation is as following:

• There is no LISTED substance in the CG02.
  • Substance database is empty
  • Transport for property tree (class and characteristic) are loaded
  • Phrases are also loaded
  • OCC is installed in front-end
  • RFC connection to OCC is created
  • User exit is created for OCC data load
  • header.xml is mapped in the user exit.
  • I can start OCC from CG02 via data determination

I have pakkage that contains XML file with listed substance.

How do I load the substance that are in XML file in to SAP CG02?

Maywand

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maywand,

And here is your mistake: First you need to create a LIST_SUB in CG02 and assign its CAS number as identifier NUM CAS. Then you can start to load data onto this LIST_SUB using the OCC.

Try it this way.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ralph,

I think I am missing the file with subtance header info. I think first the substance header must be uploaded via CG33 with .dat file and then you can upload regulatory content via OCC.

Thank you for your help!

Maywand

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maywand,

There is no file with header info. You need to create a LIST_SUB either manually in CG02 or create it via substance import, in which case you haveto prepare a load file yourself. OCC can only load data to specifications that already exist in the system.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Maywand

it seems to be that you have a kind of "XML" file. This file contains e.g. identifiers and value data assignments (e.g. density etc.). You could try to "extract" from XML file the identifiers and the create by "mass" the specifications using the standard EHS import option (as proposed by Ralph); as mentioned: you need to specify at least some identifier and a substance authorization group; I strongly ! recommend that you specify as well specification nature in your upload file; Only by using standard import (and may be old Data Editor from Technidata) you can specify by mass the "nature" per specificaiotn. Using OCC you can only upload the the "core" data.

C.B.

former_member191252
Active Participant
0 Kudos

C.B. I want to add few more comments here. The note which you sent me yesterday was really useful. I strongly encourage Maywand to go through it. SAP Note: 2084355 (note contain wonderful link).

--

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tarun,

In sap note 2084355

the followin is explained

Create the user exit type SUB_LOAD as follows:

• Call transaction SM30 (Table View Maintenance).
  • Enter the table or view: ESV_TCGUETY
  • Choose "Maintain".
  • Confirm "Caution: The table is cross-client".
  • Choose "New entries".
  • Fill the fields:
    • User Exit Type: SUB_LOAD
    • Function Module:
    • Text: Data import function in Open Content Connector
  • To translate the entry, highlight the entry and choose "Goto - Translation" in the menu.
  • Choose "Save".

I have done that but do you know what the next step is?
thanks in Advanced!

former_member191252
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Atrafi,

Have you gone through the pdf in that note? may be that can help you.

--

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Tarun

after rereading the OSS note this would be my understanding:

SAP did a smalll "redesign/enhancement" of SAP EH&S OCC. Now there seems to be the option to use "load files" (flat txt files can be used) as has been used with DataEditor from TechniData. to do the upload. The "only" con as discussed in this thread: you still have the need to set up the specs using CG02 by your own or by using standard SAP import functionality to generate the specs. But afterwards you are now more flexible.

You will find lots of threads of persons in this FORUM which "hate" the ".dat" structure to be used in SAP standard import. So this improvemnet might be a good one. As mentioned in the OSS note: there are now two options: On "online" and one"offline" option. In the "offline" option SAP EH&S OCC is generating a standard EH&S input file (.dat file). In Online you can execute the upload immediately.

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Maywand

as recommended by Tarun: please read cross the OSS note (and look for other OCC related OSS notes which explain the process or might help; there are not more than ten OSS notes)

Hope you will succeed

C.B.

former_member191252
Active Participant
0 Kudos

CB,

If I need to use OCC, do need to have SERC?

I assume OCC is a part of SAP EHS Expert, but not sure if it can be use standalone (with out SERC), so that I can use it only for Spec Data Load.

--

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

No, you don't. The OCC has been enhanced and npw includes the same data load capabilities that the DataEditor had before. So OCC can now be used for loading SERC content as well as for loading spec data and phrases from flat files.

Ralph

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

I have to correct you somewhat. The DataEditor had the option of online and offline mode as well, this is not a new development. I haven't tried online mode with the OCC yet, but I'm sure it works as well as it did before with the DataEditor.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ralph

thanks for highlighting the options as available in the DataEditor solution.  The new options as delivered with the recent/current version of OCC are interesting and therefore I will analyse them deeper. I believe with this new option it is really a valuable tool (even if one might ask the question: why can I not generate the spec as well with OCC; but can only load additional data using OCC); I assume that many people will (or would like) so say "thank you dear SAP for enlaring this" as the standard option of EHS import is for many consultants a option which is not easy to use. (and may be some consultants will be happy to have now an alternative in comparison to DataEditor solution).

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Tarun

OCC and EH&S Expert are related to each other. They have some solutions parts which you need for EH&S expert and for OCC (e.g. database; mapping etc.); they are delivered  as one "exe" (according to myknowledge); if you execute the "exe" you have "just" to select if you would like to install OCC or to install EHS& expert server; but the steps afterwards (that means instellation/set up steps) are "slightly" different (please check customizing as well etc.). And the set up is different. OCC does not have a "server" structure (it is not designed to run on a "server" platform); EH&S expert is designed to be set up as WWI on a seperate hardware etc.

C.B.

PS: keep in mind. in the last years SAP has improved EH&S expert a lot ! There are improvements in the area of performance and other stuff; please check SAP marketplace for details; especially if you activate EnhPack 3 some "on top" optimizations are possible.

former_member191252
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atrafi,

Is your problem solved?

If yes, can you share your experience with OCC for data load.

--

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

no misunderstanding, please: You can certainly use the OCC to generate a spec in EH&S. Simply create a corresponding dat-file, just like you used to do with the DataEditor. But you cannot load data from SERC to a spec that doesn't yet exist in EH&S. The reason is simply this: If the spec doesn't yet exist, which data should the OCC load onto the spec or in other words: How can the OCC identify the nature of the spec? For this reason you need to have a LIST_SUB with a CAS number or a UN-listed Sub with a UN number. Then the OCC knows which substance it is and load the correct data.

So the steps are:

1. Create the spec in the system, either manually or via load from a created dat-file and give it a CAS or UN number
  2. Load SERC data onto the spec using OCC

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

As Ralph suggested the Listed_Sub with cas nr must be there in SAP EH&S and then via OCC you can upload the regulatory data. SAP has a new version that enables you to create .dat file. Via SAP markt place you must download the following version of OCC>

EHSEXP32_37-20000083.EXE

I am still investigating how to create a .dat file for mass upload for the listed substances.

kind regards,

Atrafi

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ralph

thanks for your feedback in regards of "OCC" and "DataEditor". The new options / enhancements of OCC are interesting enough to once again investigate some time in this tool (OCC).

C.B.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I would like to thank you all for sharing your knowledge about this subject.

The correct answer is that the listed_SUB with a cas number must be created in cg02 in order to load data via OCC.

Futheremore it is better to install OCC in windows 7 because I had problems running OCC from windows 8.

with kind regards.

Maywand