cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Strategy for AS ABAP on HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to HANA so please bear with me. We're building a SAP BW 7.4 on SAP HANA SPS08. I read that for the transport management in HANA, there are 3 scenarios:

How the SAP HANA Content Is UsedTransport Scenario
SAP HANA content for ABAP for SAP HANA applicationsHANA Transport Container (HTC)
SAP HANA content for native SAP HANA applications, or non-ABAP applications that are based on SAP HANA, if CTS+ is in use.Enhanced Change and Transport System (CTS)
SAP HANA content for native SAP HANA applications, if CTS+ is not in useSAP HANA Application Lifecycle Management

My questions are:

1. Does "SAP HANA content for native SAP HANA applications" mean that these are objects developed directly in the HANA studio (eg, modeler perspective, developer perspective and that these objects are completely independent of the objects in the AS ABAP that uses the HANA as database?

In which case, if I want to transport these objects to the QAS and PRD, I can either use one of the two below:

a. Enhanced Change and Transport System (CTS), if I already have this (this is also used for non-ABAP objects), and

b. SAP HANA Lifecycle Management, if I don't have CTS+

2. Does the HANA Transport Container only work for HANA contents for ABAP, or can I use this for 'contents for native HANA apps" as well? And if not, can these two methods co-exist with each other? And by this I meant,  they are both activated and can be used anytime.

Your inputs are very much appreciated. Thank you.

- ANG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

daniel_noethe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

maybe a bit alte but here are my thoughts to your questions:

1. Your understanding is correct. "SAP HANA content for native SAP HANA applications" means that all these objects would also run on a HANA system that is not used as DB of any ABAP stack. But there is no difference in CTS or HALM or HTC in sense of supported HANA object types. All these tools support all SAP HANA repository objects which you create in the "content" folder of your HANA system.

2. As mentioned in answer 1, HTC can also be used for all SAP HANA repository objects. So you might also transport "native" apps with HTC, but usually you develop native apps on a HANA system without ABAP on top. Then HTC is not an option.

Very important: Each HANA package and its objects should only be transported with one of the available transport options!!!

Finally I would also like to mention that there is a successor of HTC avaialble, called HANA Transport for ABAP. More infos on this can be found at http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7643#whatsnew

Regards

Daniel