cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reorg of the file indexserver?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

The indexserver has a file where all data are save... ok, but, are there any task or job for reorganize it?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The DATA file can massively fragment for several reasons and therefore it is useful to check it regularly. You can use SQL: "HANA_Configuration_MiniChecks" (SAP Note 1999993) and have a look at check ID 370 ("Unused space in data files (%)"). If it is marked as potentially critical, you can run:

ALTER SYSTEM RECLAIM DATAVOLUME '<host>:<port>’ 120 DEFRAGMENT

This is an online operation and usually "120" (percent) is a good compromise between efforts and results.

The row store fragmentation mentioned above is a different story.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While Martin is completely right here, it's worthwhile to point out that fragmentation related issues (e.g. performance deterioration) occurs much less often on SAP HANA than on classic disk-storage based systems.

A direct comparison to e.g. Oracle where you would regularly have to check for fragmentation and where there are even certain usage pattern that would require de-fragmentation/rebuild activities is not reasonable.

- Lars

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Capi,

HANA allows ROW store Reorganization based on the documentation

I have come across the following SAP note on this topic that could be useful

Have not tried the reorg on our HANA systems as I do not see much fragmentation yet

Please check and let me know if this note helps

1813245 - SAP HANA DB: ROW Store reorganization