cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Server Domain Changing

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had a test on one SAP server with our IT team yesterday.

That server OS is "Windows Server 2003 SP1", database is "SQL Server 2005", Server ID is BWS, so the 2 corresponding user accounts are "bwsadm" and "SAPServiceBWS" and they are local users on this server, but this server is in domain "ABC".

The testing process:

1-Change Server IP to a new one which belongs to the new domaim "DEF"

2-Change server domain from "ABC" to "DEF"

3-No other things changed.

4-Reboot server and see if the SQL server 2005 and SAP Instance can work normally.

Testing results:

SQL server 2005 started normally.

SAP MMC can not work and pop up an error message "Snap-in failed to initialize. Name: SAP R/3 Manager CLSID: {633547EE-A302-11D1-AE59-080009B07DBB}".

I processed it according to note-354595, but I got the following error message "LoadLibrary("sapmmc.dll")failed-The specified procedure could not be found."

I also found the service "SAPOSCOL" did started and I failed to start it manually. The other service "SAPBWS_00" disappeared, I couldn't find it on the service list.

After the testing. we change the IP and Domain back. We hope it will work normally, but we also failed, we got the same error as above.

Does anybody have some related experiences on this kind of case?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Run sapstartsrv.exe. Drop the service. Recreate the service with the new domain user.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Database owner will still be incorrect, you will need to create the id and groups manually etc etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Two things spring to mind.

You can 'copy' the user profile from the first domain user to the new domain user. This 'should' fix the MMC problem. However the DB is still going to have a problem, i.e. the users are from a difference domain and need changing to the correct domain..

You can start SAP from the command line - you don’t need a MMC.

i.e. startsap name=xyz nr=00 sapdiaghost=hostname of server.

However this will correct everything.

You APPEAR to have a CI/DB on the same host - Just install the 'CI' again if the MMC is not working which will take 5mins max and will not lose data from the DB.

Copy / save off your profiles first if you want keep then and put them back afterwards

You need to create and run a sp from SAP called sp_check_sap_login to correct the DB logins (well its the quickest way - you can do it manually) This sp goes off and checks first to see if the DB is correctly assigned - which it wont be. Then you can get the SP to repair the DB for you too.

Format is

sp_check_sap_login BWS, bws, SAP to check

sp_check_sap_login BWS, bws, SAP, to repair.

I have ASSUMED your schema is bws - you need to check it.

See Note 610640 - sp_check_sap_login

Rant time!

You should really have this done by someone who know what they are doing, its not a desktop PC. Have you attended training course for either MS SQL or SAP. You should do ASAP - these are basic things.

You also need to look at the install guide, it would explain the users models to you.

IP addresses don’t belong to a domain, they are just an address.

Why have you changed domains? It doesn’t matter that the users are local in you test.

Who owns the service and do they have rights to act as a service?

Im also hoping this server is NOT a domain controller, SAP server should not be installed on a domain server - again check your planning guide, or get someone in who know what they are doing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin

Thank you very much for your response.

I solved the problem finally after reinstalled the CI.

For your rant, I accepted it sincerely.

I'm on the self-study road. This server is installed by me, but for MS SQL and SAP, I must learn them more for going further. Getting guiders like you is one of the important ways for my study due to I don't have any chance to attend the related course training. So, I always take the experienced friends as my trainers, problems as my training courses. May I take you as my friend?

My working MSN: hmlz1208@hotmail.com

For domain changing is a global event in our company.

We must change our local domains to one global domain .

For example, changing Dalian.com, Bejing.com, and Shanghai.com to China.com.

We have several SAP servers involved this event, so we must test some points before that. I'm pleased I'm involved this event also because I would learn more on it if I solve the problems.

I know I'll encounter other terrible problems, e.g. <sid>adm and SAPService<SID> are domain users not local users, I hope I can get your futher help. I have done some researches on this case, I'll do my best to solve the coming problems firstly.

Thank you very much again!