cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEPENDENCY_TYPE in OBJECT_DEPENDENCIES explanation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

I would like to get more information about the meaning of "magic" numbers as values of DEPENDENCY_TYPE column of OBJECT_DEPENDENCIES view.

All I found it this page:

https://help.sap.com/hana_one/html/_o_b_j_e_c_t__d_e_p_e_n_d_e_n_c_i_e_s.html

but it contains no good explanation on the column.

For example, is it right that "1" means "direct dependency"?

former_member657223
Discoverer
0 Kudos

SYS.OBJECT_DEPENDENCIES

Dependencies between objects, for example, views that refer to a specific table

Type of dependency between base and dependent object. Possible values are:

• 0: NORMAL (default)
  • 1: EXTERNAL_DIRECT (direct dependency between dependent object and base object)
  • 2: EXTERNAL_INDIRECT (indirect dependency between dependent object und base object)
  • 5: REFERENTIAL_DIRECT (foreign key dependency between tables)

source: OBJECT_DEPENDENCIES

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep, this one is not explained further, correct!

Looking at what's in there I'd guess that

1 - direct dependency (e.g. VIEW uses a TABLE)

2 - indirect (?) dependency (couldn't really see how that works)

3 - ???

4 - object reference from result column view of sqlscript procedure to base object

5 - referential constraint

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Lars.

Do you know where analytic privileges are stored in metadata views? I want to write a query to get the same result set as "Where Used" option of Hana Studio.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know that from the top of my head. Also, it's a different question, so you might open a new thread for that.

former_member184969
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars & Andrii

Unfortunately, in my own database, I have several (i.e. many) exemples of dependency_type = 1 whereas the corresponding calc view and tables are indirectly linked (via another graphical calc view)... So I have some (respectful )doubts on Lars' guesses.

Well, the 2- statement seems to apply, more or less, but 1 - doesn't seem so reliable.

Which is a pity : I'm trying to build a graph of dependencies between my 350+ views and nearly as many tables, and then the OBJECT_DEPENDENCY view is poorly helping (by actually providing too many informations : I can't filter on the 1st level).

(any good idea on this topic of retro-graphing  will be more than welcome. My best bet, so far, is to use the HANA Live browser. Tough work...).

Regards

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stephane,

so you find table->calc.view references where you would expect to find table->calc.view->calc.view... -> calc.view references?

If so, I'd say this comes from the way calc. views work.

As the calculation scenario gets instantiated only upon actual query, all the involved information views get included into a complete model.

Seen this way, the calc. view that gets queried directly depends on all underlying tables.

As far as I get it, the OBJECT_DEPENDENCY view mainly serves to support dependency invalidation. That is: if I change table X I also need to invalidate all calc. views that depend on it.

Anyhow, as long as the data in the view is not documented, all this is funny guess work.

Maybe  or can put this on the backlog.

- Lars

former_member184969
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lars

I fear you are right: I can see good logic and consistence into this... But then what about the '2' value, that comes up sometime in a very relevant table->calc.view->calc.view situation ?

Well, this does not help me in my final goal, unfortunately, but  at least I can understand the why of that field ( if not the how)...

Answers (0)