cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open .pbd file in PowerBuilder IDE?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am bit new to powerbuilder. There is an application build in powerbuilder now I have to look to which data source its pointing to. The only file I have .pbd file. But when I open it with notepad++ it show data in some wired manner. Is there a way I can see the actual code in .pbd file?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a chance your application came with a .ini file which might show the data source (as in DSN for an ODBC connection).

If by data source you mean the retrieve statements, you need to tell us what PB version you are licensed for, for us to assist and perhaps explain what happened to the corresponding .pbl files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A .pbd file is compiled code. A .pbl contains source code and compiled code.

There should be a .pbl file that matches the .pbd if it was created in-house. Check with the other developers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot see the code in the PBD, as it contains the compiled code. You need the PBL to see the source code. Typically the database parameter that are used to connect are stored in an .ini file and not within the application itself.

You can add PBDs to the library search list. That will allow you to see the name of the objects and the function/event names within those objects. In older versions of PB (before 10 I believe) you can actually open datawindow objects and see the SQL statement.