cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between system log and application log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

I check note 195157 - Application log: Deletion of logs and the note tell me to delete application log. I know I can check the system log with SM21. But I donot know the difference between system log and application log. I want to know how to check the application log. Can any expert help me ? Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Huiyong,

System Log --> The SAP system logs for every important action like system errors, warnings, user locks, & process message in the system log. Two types - Local (By that server only), Central (By all the servers).  T Code Used - SM21

Application Log --> The application log is a tool that collects messages, exceptions & errors from an application. This information is organized and displayed in a log.

T Code - SLG0 - Define entries for own applications in application log. (Developer Use)

SLG1 - Analyze application log (Key User)

SLG2 - Delete logs (Administrator User)

Difference :Application logging records the progress of the execution of an application, whereas the system log record system events.

May check below links for more details

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/Application+Log+Methodology+in+SAP

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp2/helpdata/en/c7/69bcbaf36611d3a6510000e835363f/content.htm

Thanks

Sriram

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Huiyong,

System logs are about the system itself and application logs are related to the application running on the system.

SAP NetWeaver System Logging (SM21)

An SAP system logs system messages, system warnings, and system error messages in system logs. Each instance has a local log in which system messages, warnings, and error messages in this instance are logged.

The note clearly describes the application logs as below. SLG2 is the report transaction for app logs.

You need to shedule  SBAL_DELETE job to delete old app logs.

195157 - Application log: Deletion of logs

The application log is a tool for writing, saving, and displaying logs. Many different applications write messages containing information for end users in the application log. The application log is for the temporary storage of messages. The logs are written to the database but are not automatically deleted.

There is no general procedure for activating or deactivating the application log. Some applications offer this option individually or allow you to reduce the number of generated entries. (See SAP Notes 91519, 183960, and 141244.)

SLG2 is a report transaction. The corresponding report is SBAL_DELETE. At regular intervals, this can be scheduled as a background job.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR