Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria Database on SQL Anywhere 12 and Replication

former_member686053
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have Afaria Farm and I Use SQL Anywhere 12 as database server.

I want to replicate this database to another SQL Anywhere 12 Server.

Which one is good way to replication

And can I have some documentation that tells this step by step?
I am not a DB admin.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Tevfik,

I think we need to understand your requirements a little more: why are you interested in SQL Anywhere replication and what are your plans for it?

If you're looking for an always-available SQL Anywhere database for Afaria, there is high-availability (database mirroring). This will allow you to maintain two database server partners (with a third arbiter), where the primary has read/write capabilities and the mirror partner is read-only. There is a tutorial here in the documentation.

If you're looking for a reporting server to do read-only queries for reporting, there is read-only scale out (copy nodes). The tutorial can be found here.

Are you trying to keep a backup copy of your database via replication? If so, you may want to consider live backups (see the wiki), or just regular backups (also see the wiki). Regular backups should still be used in conjunction with any of the high-availability scenarios described above.

If you're really looking for data movement, particularly to multiple database nodes, there is synchronization to other enterprise databases (including SQL Anywhere, but this also includes HANA, ASE, IQ, etc.) with MobiLink and replication to other SQL Anywhere databases, via SQL Remote. MobiLink uses a session-based HTTP or TCP/IP connection as a transport, while SQL Remote can use offline FILE, FTP, SMTP, and online HTTP as a transport.

---

You may read elsewhere that historically SQL Anywhere can also be used with SQL Remote for Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) or Replication Server for replication, but both of these methods have been deprecated and removed in current versions and are not supported by development.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support